action pan shot attempt 2,197,267

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Seems like I have been trying this forever and each time a little better. After listening to Chili I think this one turned out pretty good- since it was probably the last ride of the season I was hoping for 1 decent one. This is Spider coming into the landing over our tracks biggest jump (which earlier in the season put him out for a month with a busted bike, foot and concussion when he crashed over it)
a1-15.jpg

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
photojojo said:
I think you got it. Did you use a flash?
I don't have one and when I shot this I was about 25 yards away from the jump. Chili and rich both have suggested a fill flash which I hope to pick up over the winter

photojojo

Jun 10, 2006
I'll use a second curtain sync on some of my pan shots for a pretty good effect. That will also let you drag the shutter a little longer.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
photojojo said:
I'll use a second curtain sync on some of my pan shots for a pretty good effect. That will also let you drag the shutter a little longer.
not sure what that method is? Is it possible with the rebel XTi?

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Looks like a poster shot to me. Nice.

Squid31

Jul 5, 2006
oldguy said:
not sure what that method is? Is it possible with the rebel XTi?

I don't know for sure if the XTi has the option or not in camera, but the 580 has the option right on the flash for sure.

The shot you posted looks pretty good, but I still think your shutter is a bit too slow. If you were at 1/125 or 1/160 you would have a lot more keepers than at 1/50, but not quite as much motion blur.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Squid31 said:
I still think your shutter is a bit too slow. If you were at 1/125 or 1/160 you would have a lot more keepers than at 1/50, but not quite as much motion blur.

I can't see the exif data here at work as I don't have any viewer but I'm assuming based on Emile's reply that it's 1/50th. In that case I agree with him I never shoot pans that slow unless it's 50 kids, if you nail one they look cool as all get out but the keeper ratio will be dismal. As we discussed on the phone my personal preference would be to see the focus on the helmet.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom