Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
The bike: 250 EXC. The procuct: "wobble axle"

I gave the "wobble axle" a good work out at the Harrison national enduro and have some observations.

1. Installation: While a little bit harder than the stock axle, no issues really.

2. Performance:
Here is where it gets interesting for me. I had no issues with my bike's handling with the stock axle, my suspension works for me. FYI, I run a GPR stabilizer.
Once installed, I set the axle at almost center, just a touch back - my guess would be maybe .5 mm back, which also raises the wheel up in the forks.
I noticed right away that this thing got pretty "twitchy" on open stuff (grass track) and dirt roads...frankly...it scared the knee pads right out from my pants.
I couldn't wait to get in the tight stuff to see how this axle impacted my average woods riding skills....and impact it had:
First I hit a tree so hard that my goggles extended and retracted like a cheap pair of suspenders (You know - like the road runner when his eyes pop out).
The reason? The bike turned so much "tighter" than what I was used to. I proceeded to hit 2 more trees like that, but then I got used to this new "cat on a rug" type turning ability of my 250 EXC. It was awesome. I am used to steering my KTM with the rear brake, and negotiate tight stuff this way, the "wobble axle" certainly offered an additional option...steering with your handle bars...quite a new concept.
This came in really handy in the really tight stuff, where I lacked speed and had to crawl - due to my inept conditioning.
Overall, I absolutely loved it in the woods, but I'll need to experiment more with the settings. As I think about loops like Higgins Lake or other open sandy whooped out stuff, I would certainly move the axle/wheel forward. In my neck of the woods (Wisconsin and Illinois) I think the benefit of greater turnability in tight stuff will outweigh stability on the open stuff.
Its a great product and its super easy to adjust, so there will be a setting for everyone.
To anyone considering to try this axle...I would highly recommend to get your suspension set up properly BEFORE trying this axle. If your bike is climbing out of ruts, washing out, etc. get that fixed first, that way you will truly be able to appreciate what this axle has to offer.

One more observation: Unfortunately this wobble axle will not help you when stuck in the mud, nor will it help you with stupid line selection, if you have questions about that, please contact me, I'll be happy to help...though I do charge a hefty price.
Here is some contact info if interested.

Speedynamics
8387 Beers Road
Swartz Creek, Michigan, 48473
810-444-5537
paulhudy@speedynamic.com

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom