67stang

Aug 24, 2009
Hi all I just bought a Kc 110cc dirt bike four speed, 1 down & 3 up, and it runs great & it will go into gear. But problem is it wont engage or disengage with clutch lever. I tried to adjust grub screw but still no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated. my son is dying to ride. Thanks in advance :bang:

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Does the clutch not grab, so you can't get going, or does the clutch not disengage, so it stalls the engine when you shift into gear?

If it won't disengage I would suspect that the clutch cable has either broken (should be obvious) or stretched out to the point you can't adjust it. There is also a possibility that the clutch was over heated, causing the plates to warp and now they won't disengage.

If it slips then either the cable is adjusted too tight or the clutch is simply worn out.

You may need to replace the clutch and/or cable.

Rod

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
My guess here is that the bike was bought used? If the cable is not broken and if the adjuster in the middle of the cable down over the engine is at it's limit then cable is beyond it's service life. The soft steel used on the knockoff cables is so bad that I had one cable become unusable from brand new in 3 hours! You should be able to order a better quality cable that will fit or you can get one made for not too much coin. If the cable is fine all around then you have a deeper issue and it starts with pulling the right side cover to see if there are broken, worn or misaligned parts.

67stang

Aug 24, 2009
yes it was bought used and it stalls when shifting into gear. so it wont disengage. I was thinking of pulling the cover also. the cable is good all around and has plenty of adj left, so i suspect it may be inside the cover.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
It is common for a dirt bike to have difficulty idling with the transmission in gear and the clutch pulled in.

What happens if you rev the engine up a bit, pull the clutch and then drop it in gear? I would expect a small lurch but then it should settle down.

Dirt bike clutches work in an oil bath and have very little clearance between the plates. The oil, especially when it is cold, will provide some amount of fluid coupling between the plates, also known as "clutch drag". A bike that may idle fine in neutral may not idle well in gear with the clutch pulled in.

If your problem is actually clutch drag then I would expect it to improve some when the engine warms up and the oil is thinner. You can also improve the overall situation by running a thinner oil.

Rod

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
If the cable is fine and has plenty of adjustment left run that sucker out until it's pulling the lever on the side case at least 1/2 way and see if the lever on the handle bar can move it from there to completly disengage it. See the gaskets for the side cases are not available on every corner and most are no where near the quality of something like OEM Honda so it WILL tear when you pull the cover. Do as much trouble shooting as you can before getting things in a bigger mess.

67stang

Aug 24, 2009
Thanks I tried that & still no luck. I contacted the guy i bought it from & now he tells me they were riding it & down shifted into wrong gear & then it would not disengage. would that mean the clutch is gone. Thanks for all the help my son is beating my ear but i dont want him riding until it is right.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Sounds a bit deeper than just a clutch to me. You won't really know if it's something easy like a mangled clutch basket or a bit more work like a shaft(s), gear(s), shift arm(s), etc... until you crack it open. As I mentioned cracking it open could be just the beginning of the problems you will have. Scratch your head a bit and decide if the bike is worth it or maybe lesson learned on buying something without checking it out first. If you decide to keep it I'd just pick up a new engine off of Ebay and pop it in because it will be A LOT less aggrivation than trying to find parts.

67stang

Aug 24, 2009
Thanks. I am going to remove cover to take a look. the bike runs great. if its that bad then i will get new engine. Thanks for advice & i will let you know what i find.

Top Bottom