Adjusting to new Tech-6's

SndyRds

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 1, 2001
After lurking for the last year, It's time to post!

I got a pair of Alpinestar Tech-6's for Christmas. I have a hard time getting the boot under the shifter, and feeling the rear brake!!

I adjusted the shifter up, and it feels better, and I'm trying to get used to the brake... but.

I have only ridden with the boots for a short while, I know they will break in, and I'm sure I will adjust " somewhat". However I didn't appreciate how intuitivly I rode before. Now I have to force myself to concentrate on my feet. I've already had some bobbles because of the boots, and from a safety aspect, buying new boots, is a good idea, but not if you crash ( I could slow down for awhile I suppose). I might be able to return the boots if not showing wear and get another brand.

I was real excited to get new boots, I guess this might be my second pair of new boots, and I have to admit Ive been using hand-me down or used boots for quite a while now. The old boots were well broke in, and I had alot of feel with them. I do like the fit and feel of the Alpinestar's in general. I feel like I'm wearing those deep-sea diver boots, while on the bike. Do I hang in there? How have your Tech-6's been for you? Has anybody else had the same experience as, I have?

I am now exposed as a lurker, :ugg: (I am so ashamed).

I need to lean on everone for help and advise. My wife (Santa) asked how great it must be to have new boots, how were they to ride in? And I said, Huh, Ah, I can't ride in these! AND I GOT THE LOOK . :| :eek: :ugg:

DAVE C

Dec 21, 2001
My Tech 6's are the best boots I've ever worn. They fit like a glove from day one and have saved my butt, err my feet and legs, too many times to count. They will take some getting used to, but you should find that you are actually a better, more aggressive rider with them. I honestly don't have a single bad thing to say about the Tech 6's. In fact, I like them better than the Tech 8's.

Basically, if you are used to worn in (or maybe worn out) boots, then you will have to give it time. Worn boots with little support can lead to injury. You are on the right track with raising the shifter pedal though if that helps.

Good luck!

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
That's pretty much the way I felt when I finally got some quality boots. Don't worry though, your riding intuition will adjust to them after a while, just takes some time. My boots never broke in like the old cheapos I had before where I could leave my right foot on the peg with my toes over the brake. Now I have to lift my foot to apply the brake but I got used to it and don't even think about it anymore. You can forget about riding on 'feel', at least in your feet. You probably won't feel your pegs or your pedals anymore, at least I don't. But your feet will learn where they are, probably already do, you just don't trust them yet. It's kinda like Stevie Wonder playing the piano. :aj:

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I hated mine at first and was kicking myself for dropping so much money on them. Missed shifts and dragging the brake were par for the course for a while. Now I love them and don't have any problems with them. It's amazing how you can adjust to something so different. After a couple of weeks I was fine.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
If you think the 6's are stiff, hard to break-in or whatever, you'll be more dissapointed with pretty much everything else, Tech 6's break-in pretty easily actually. What did you ride in before? Yes there are more pliable boots out there, but they tend to offer MUCH less protection. The boots will break-in and soon enough it'll all feel completely natural.

Only one other boot (I have experience with) comes to mind... Vectors. Much less support but they are like tennis shoes from day 1. Here is a link to our Vector reviews (Eric Gorr's and mine): http://dirtrider.net/drn_tested/boots/vector.html

b-b00gie

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2002
From his post it sounds as though this is his first set of riding boots. I may be wrong though... :)

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
After you've ridden in them for a day or two, you will get used to them and they will beak in. I was using a worn out set of Hi Point Pro GP's before I bought my Tech 6's. The first time I rode in them I had the same problems as you, I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong but nothing felt right and I was riding like crap because of it.

I cut the day short and went home.. The next day was considerably better, and the next day was as good as any.

Don't write them off until you've got at least 3 or 4 rides in them.

SndyRds

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 1, 2001
Not my first pair of riding boots, also I only rode approx. one mile and had to return, due to other reasons, so I haven't given the boots a fair chance yet. I was wearing a 10 year old pair of Malcolm Smith's (obviously not stitched by Malcolm himself) Okie. And I now remember, that my first set of real boots were a huge adjustment way back when. I guess I was sort of knocked out of my comfort zone by the change. I'm sure I'll adjust. The old M/S's were almost like tennis shoes, old leather and well worn.

Thank you everyone for the feedback,,, I'll just have to ride like crazy so I can get used to them.

Big Tuna

Nov 29, 2000
A couple more rides, and you'll be thanking "santa" AS make a great boot, and riding with clapped out boots is riding on borrowed time.
By the way if your wife is anything like mine, or most of the women I know, and she gives you "ANYTHING" MX related, or anything else for that matter, and she wants to know how you like it, just tell her it's PER-FECT!! ;) This will help you avoid having santa bring you a lump of non-dirtbiking dirt next year, not to mention it'll help keep the frost off of the inside of the bedroom windows at night! :eek:

SndyRds

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 1, 2001
Thanks Tuna, for the matrimonial advice, She is a good woman, 19 years and stil counting.

unabiker

Dec 16, 2002
Hang in there. They do get better. I rode in my brand new Tech 6's for the first time yesterday. At the beginning of the day, I felt like I was riding in cement golashes. 5 hours of muddy, snowy trails later, they better. If they keep loosening up like they did the first day, it oughta take 2 or 3 more times out for them to adjust to me and vice versa.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
How have your Tech-6's been for you?
I'll let you know next week. I plan on buying a pair of tech 6 boots this week. I'd like the 8, but the 6 just fits my foot better. :)
As far as the Mrs.. . . Like Big Tuna said Everything is perfect ;)

dave186

Sponsoring Member
Nov 19, 2001
I got my tech 6s right before going to DW02. I probably rode with them once before then and it didnt take very long to adjust at all. I was wearing M4s before, and they just had no support at all, especially in the ankle where I need it most. I crashed at DW and sprained my ankle wearing the tech 6s, with the M4s im sure it would have been broken. so just stick in there, you will learn to like them.

B

biglou

I went from M4's to the Tech 6's just like Dave. I wore them at a local track the first time and figured I'd be pullin' neutrals every other shift. I only pulled two in the corner that I normally do (even with the M4's) and I just loved my Tech's right out of the box. They do inspire a bit more confidence in their ability to protect than the M4's did. Granted, my M4's were great and wore very well for nearly 2-1/2 years. I figure one good ride and you will be loving the new boots. Hang in there!

hlinar

Oct 21, 2002
okay the tech 6's are great boots according to y'all. I've been hearing suggestions NOt to buy boots w alot of plastic on them as thestitching gets caught/snagged in the woods and the boots end up ratty and leaky in no time. If riding in the woods/trails get ones w more leather and less stitched on polastic. Any comments ?

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Well, I got my first ride in on the tech 6's. Comfortable right out of the box. My foot is still settling into the boot, but I can feel the support difference. :thumb:
I wouldn't worry about the extra plastic. I'd wager it'll take a branch hit a little bit better than the leather would. I haven't done a wet ride with the 6's yet. But I did slather them with alpinestars waterproofing paste before the first ride.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Never heard anyone complain about stitching getting caught on anything, not even sure how that'd be possible. I will say that my Tech 6's have never been remotely close to waterproof but I don't 'most' other boots are either.

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
Love my tech 6's but I went through a little break in period with em too. I still think I have a litte less brake feel than I had in my worn out old AXO's, but the extra support is well worth it. :yeehaw:

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
If you don't mind buying new $250 boots every season or so, the Hi Point Pro-GP is a good choice.. All leather with a stainless steel shin plate. No plastic.. And that is why they don't last long. They lose ankle/foot support way faster than the plastic boots do. I switched to Tech 6's and never looked back.

hlinar

Oct 21, 2002
OK Cam, I now understand the Hi-points of today vs 25 yrs ago. Now that you've had the tech 8's for awhile, and gotten used to them, and $$ were no object, what would you buy the 8's or 6's?

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
My question, as I am going to order a pair of Tech 6 today:

How do they run size wise as compared to other boots? Larger, smaller, or about the same?

I currently have Fox Formas, size ten and they fit perfect with heavy socks.

Last edited:

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Originally posted by hlinar
OK Cam, I now understand the Hi-points of today vs 25 yrs ago. Now that you've had the tech 8's for awhile, and gotten used to them, and $$ were no object, what would you buy the 8's or 6's?

Tech 6's.. Best bang for your buck! The 8's are nice but not $70 nicer.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I wear a 13 in workboots, and fit in a 13 Tech 6 just fine

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Thanks! I'm on my way to DSM to purchase right now!

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Tech 6's have been secured, and my, oh my, do they feel nice!!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…