advice on how to transport in pickup truck

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Patman said:
If you have a leak after doing this it is from an imperfection (damage already done) and the extra internal pressure is just helping push oil out.
I was going to leave this all behind, but this statement is basically what I have been trying to say, although initially I said it very poorly.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
ratchet tie downs-NO! Buy a set of premium, Ancra brand tie downs, and thank us later. The cam mechanisim is about 1000% easier to work than any ratchet tie down, it won't come loose, what more could you ask for. I have left a set in the back of a truck, exposed to the elements for literally years straight and they still worked fine.

knowiam...what you said is a good example of why trailers bum me out. Obviously a trailer is the best option for some folks, particularly if owning a truck isn't practical...and that's great.

I used to have trailers, had a bike come loose twice, both times was from a combination of bike not being tied down tight enough, nothing between tire and fender, and hitting a big pothole or bump. One of the times, I earned a severely bent rotor...which was fixed "almost new" with two Craftsman phillips screwdrivers, a strip of masking tape and a Sharpie marker.

Doug...as far as riding or pushing the bike up into the truck, since trucks are getting taller all the time I see your point. Getting older doesn't help either. I remember watching my pissed off friend ride his CR up into the back of a 1/2 ton ford truck, not using a ramp...trials style. The suspension linkage scraped a bit, but not as bad as you would think. I was amazed.

ChopperDave

It's been awhile...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 1, 2004
I have no trouble using my trailer (much easier with multiple bikes and gear), or hauling with my truck. I use fork supports just for the extra stability. Two straps in the truck are fine. Need a third with the back wheels, using the trailer, to keep the rear of the bikes from walking around!

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
ChopperDave said:
Need a third with the back wheels, using the trailer, to keep the rear of the bikes from walking around!
When I hook up the trailer, I use a 12" heavy duty black bungee to hold each back wheel in place.

ChopperDave

It's been awhile...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 1, 2004
FruDaddy said:
When I hook up the trailer, I use a 12" heavy duty black bungee to hold each back wheel in place.

Indeed, I'll bet thats quick and easy!

thorman75

"Team Army"
Dec 9, 1999
Besides your bike make sure you secure your gear bag etc. AJ and myself were going to Casey and spotted a fox gear bag lying on the side of Rt 57. Pulled over went back and got it, boots, helmet etc all inside. that was one happy C rider in the pits that am when we showed him what we found. :cool:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…