buffmaster

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 11, 2001
OK, here's a good one for ya. Have any of you ever accidentally gotten dish soap on a dirty air filter? I was cleaning my dirt encrusted, No-Toil treated air filter last night in hot soapy water when I did that. Anyway, when the soapy water wouldn't barely touch the No-toil, I took it out side to get a little harsher on it. I put a little gas on it(Yes, I know. Not the preferred method, but bear w/me). Well, at that point, I noticed that it wasn't getting much cleaner. I then took it to the set tub to rinse it and to wash it again in hot soapy water. The problem is that I can't get it cleaned out completely due to the soap in the filter. Is it just going to take some time and elbow grease, or am I in bigger trouble than that? (all right, now try not to get too harsh on the idiot comments, pls. Thanks :eek: )

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
When I clean my filter, I first clean it with mineral spirits, to break down the filter oil. I then fill the sink with warm, soapy water (watch out for the wife when doing this part :eek: ), and squeeze (never twist a filter, it will break down the foam) the filter repeatedly to fill it with the soapy water and squeeze it out, taking dirt with it. I empty the sink, and repeat as many times as neccessary, until I see no more dirt when looking through the filter at a bright light.

buffmaster

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 11, 2001
Hey Spank, what if I did bass-ackwards of you and I still have soapy residue in the filter, and it still looks dirty. Just keep cleaning it w/soapy water or min. spirits or just chuck the thing and get a new one? I plan on try to clean it up tonight, but I could always use a new filter and a spare.

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
Just do it like I said. Start with the mineral spirits, then the soapy water. You will have a clean-as-new filter in about fifteen minutes.

buffmaster

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 11, 2001
Ah, but you missed my point. It's already been done bass-ackwards. I'm looking for a remedy for it's current state. When I posted this, I was hoping another had had the same, or similar, lack of brain matter when they turned their filter into a dish sponge. Looks I'm alone again.:( Anywho, I went:
soapy water, mii. spirits, soapy water and that (^) was my result. The only thing that I can think of is to rinse till it no longer resembles a dish sponge and then going from there.:think

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
Originally posted by buffmaster
The only thing that I can think of is to rinse till it no longer resembles a dish sponge and then going from there.:think
You answered your own question. If you simply have a build-up of soap and dirt, I see no reason why you can't rinse it until it comes clean.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Did you run out of No Toil cleaner? If so, laundry detergent works reasonably well. I usually use a 50/50 mixture of No-Toil cleaner and Tide.

Yamamoto

Uhhh...
Apr 3, 2001
Hmmm

Originally posted by BRush
. I usually use a 50/50 mixture of No-Toil cleaner and Tide.

I think I will try that!

P.S. do you know where the thead is on "no-toil causing a problem"?
OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT

buffmaster

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 11, 2001
Thanks guys. Didn't get to try and take care of the prob. last night. Got a little to busy around the house. If I can't get it cleaned out, I'll be back. Otherwise, thanks for the input.

Top Bottom