Moose95

Sponsoring Member
Mar 9, 2002
Hey guys,
I bought a new air filter for the 'ole Green Mistress and left it in the garage. My dog decides that it's a great chew toy and eats the thing up cage and all. I'm a bit tired of paying big bucks for the spray on filter cleaner. What types of alternate methods have y'all used to clean your filters with? The KDX manual simply states "a solvent with a high flash point". Thanks for the input, see ya' on the trails!

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Hey Bro' you know my views on No-Toil but I don't know if the wife would like you to use it in the washing machine :)

I have bought a couple of other filters to test them using the No-Toil filter oil and solvent with no problems. A reminder though, when washing in the machine use the "Warm" cycle. I ran my original filter through the "Hot" cycle and the filter came unglued :|

Twin Air and Uni both work well so have at it.

Last edited:

linusb

~SPONSOR~
Apr 20, 2002
Mineral spirits work great...I buy the gallon cans. Put my filter in a bucket, pour in the entire contents of the mineral spirits can, pull out filter, press out excess mineral spirits, and pour it back in the can. Works for about 5-10 cleanings before you need to buy more mineral spirits.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
NoToil.

Sorry...but I see NO sense in messing with solvents and the resulting mess, smell, cost and cleanup hassle. A notoil oiled filter (doesn't matter which brand) cleans up in a minute or less.

I prefer NoToil's aerosol filter oil to the liquid stuff. Applies more evenly.

If you use NoToil on a filter that has been previously oiled with a petro product, take extra care to get it very clean.

I've used it for the past couple years...on the oem filter, NoToil filter and a couple twinairs. I've never seen a speck of ANYthing in my airbox that got past the filter.

Works good.

Oh...of course you can wash your NoToil oiled filter in the sink, too. You don't HAVE to risk getting caught throwing your filter in the machine with the wife's lingerie! ;)

Moose95

Sponsoring Member
Mar 9, 2002
Thanks for the input C.C. Wouldn't want to stay in the dog house over some messed up clothes no matter how bio-degradable the mess is :eek: I'm still in the dog house for letting the boy run around the house with the turkey feet off the bird I shot a couple of weeks ago :uh: But oh well, the smell of the Green Misstress's fumes erase all the worries :)

ChuckyBoy

~SPONSOR~
May 2, 2002
Hi all,

I'm glad this topic came up. I too, hate messing with solvents to clean my filter.

I hesitate to swtich to NoToil because where I live and ride it is fairly common during the summer months for the humidity to reach and break 90 percent mark . I fear that with that much "water" in the air that it can begin to break down the protective barrier left on the filter by the NoToil.

Do y'all think that I have a valid concern or am I just overly paranoid?

Any input or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chucky

Moose95

Sponsoring Member
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by ChuckyBoy

"Do y'all think that I have a valid concern or am I just overly paranoid?"

-You're asking this and you're from Waco?! ;)
Just Kidding Chucky. Before I moved here to Virginia (Indian for "Land That Lacks Riding Areas") I rode a lot at Turkey Bay, Land Between the Lakes. T.B. is on the TENN/KY border and gets VERY Humid during those 100 degree days. This is compounded by the fact that T.B. is located right on the banks of a rather large lake. My riding partners used No-Toil without too much trouble, except for IrishEKU (my brother), but then again his bike always runs like crap anyway. Sorry Irish :moon:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Moisture isn't a problem. If you're concerned that NoToil is cleaned with water..that high humidity will 'dissolve' the oil......not to worry.

You could ask NoToil from their website, too. I'm sure they'd allay your suspicions/paranoid concerns 'officially'.

BTW...as they say (whoever THEY are), 'Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you!'

ChuckyBoy

~SPONSOR~
May 2, 2002
I really hated to use the word paranoid...maybe "overly concerned" would have been a better choice.

Ever since the whole Branch Davidian thing I guess the world has a different outlook on Waco. We're not a bunch of paranoid, incestuous, gun toting, weapon hoarding, doomsday fearing, religious fanatics...REALLY!

By quoting me, I think (empahsis on THINK) Moose was having some fun with the whole Waco\Davidian thing. Hey Moose, I'm laughing with ya bro' no offense taken!

Back on topic...I'm glad to hear that moisture in the air cannot break down the NoToil oil. Since NoToil cleans up with water, I thought that high humidity might effect the protection of the film - just a theory of mine. Y'alls experiences are based on fact and reality, not theories, so I guess I will be switching to NoToil very soon.

Thanks,
Chucky

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Chucky,

Moose being my brother and of the "Smack Talkin'" variety that he is, I can enphaticly state that yes it was in jest. As for No-Toil and the water issue, the only way to clean that filter with water is their brand of cleanser. If you use that in conjunction with the instructions it will look new after every wash, DRN Tested by me :thumb: :)

bobross60

Nov 18, 2002
I use Coleman Lantern Fuel.
Cleans best of any solvent I've tried.
Tried many "Specialty Filter Cleaners" to test I would clean per directions then I would re-clean in Coleman Fuel and I always get more dirt Out.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by bobross60
I use Coleman Lantern Fuel.
Cleans best of any solvent I've tried.
Tried many "Specialty Filter Cleaners" to test I would clean per directions then I would re-clean in Coleman Fuel and I always get more dirt Out.

Friend, then you have obviously never used No-Toil, think and research before you post please, the afore mentioned product is specificly designed NOT TO BREAK DOWN WHEN IN CONTACT WITH OIL BASED MIXTURES. That said I mean with fuel, oil, Mineral Spirits or Kerosene. Hence it's ability to stay tacky and in place while in place as part of the fuel air mix that make your engine run.

ChuckyBoy

~SPONSOR~
May 2, 2002
Eureka! I understand now! Water ALONE cannot wash off the oil. It needs to be used in conjunction with NoToil's cleansing agent. It all makes sense now...thanks Irish.

I can now put away my doubts about the NoToil. Like I said earlier, I'll be switch to NT soon!

Thanks,
Chucky

knobbytracks

Oct 29, 2001
ChuckyBoy. You're right. No-Toil will not break down with water alone, it needs their cleaning "soap" as well. No need to worry at all. I've been using their products, filters included, and have had great results. BTW, I also use filterskins, they work great for enduro racing here in the dry Rocky Mountains and the west.

goldman15

Jun 9, 2001
Chuckboy,
Those who have replied that No-Toil is essentially waterproff are correct. No-Toil will not wash off with water alone. I hope this puts some of your concerns about No-Toil to rest. If you are still not convinced that No-Toil is the best product to clean and oil your air filter maybe this will convince you. The king of KDX Jeff Fredette uses No-Toil. I am a No Toil sales rep and I gave him the product to try back in the spring of this year. After trying the product, Jeff bought several cases of the oil/cleaning product and about 30 KDX No Toil filters. Call him if you have trouble finding No-Toil local. I am sure Jeff will be happy to tell you about the benefits of No-Toil.
Also, if anyone is interested in becomming a No-Toil sales rep send me an E-mail at performance1@peoplepc.com. This could be a fun way for you to earn free No-Toil and make a little extra money to support the KDX habit.
Thanks (Hope this isn't considered spam)

Top Bottom