Coolector

Nov 25, 2003
I read all about cleaning air filters and the different methods. One thing that I am curious about is the soaking in oil and squeezing out be fore installation. Some people tell me that they don't use oil because it traps so much dust and dirt that the filter will clog premature.
Any advice would be great.

john_bilbrey

Mar 22, 2003
that's what an air filter is supposed to do: keep gunk out of the engine. The oil helps it to trap more gunk. A good cleaning/reoiling schedule is required.

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
better for your filter to clog prematurely than your engine to seize prematurely. Filters catch dirt, that is their job. The foam is nothing more than a way for the filter oil to be suspended in mid air. The foam is not doing the job the filter oil is.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Try coating the inside of the air duct connecting the carb to the air cleaner with grease. If your air filter is letting any dirt by, the grease will get a coating of dust on it, telling you to replace a torn filter or to apply more oil to the filter. I use NO TOIL because it is so easy to clean the air filter, no smells. I also keep a second air filter on hand for those times I am too lazy to clean the first one before I go riding again.
To squeeze out the excess oil, I have a vacuum sealer in the kitchen. I put the filter in a bag and vacuum seal it. It squeezed out all the excess oil and is a good way to store the extra filter too.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom