crazybrit

Feb 19, 2006
What do people recommend for cleaning the KDX air filter? This is my first dirt bike and I've never cleaned a foam filter before. I bought (at Cycle Gear) some Motorex filter cleaner and Motorex 206 filter oil.

I was going to try NoToil but .... it's cleaner said that it would only remove NoToil oil and if the filter had been oiled with regular petroleum based oil you first need to clean with solvent.

I'm assuming the Motorex 206 oil is "petroleum based". Is solvent the only thing that will clean off petroleum based oil? I ask as the Motorex cleaner is biodegradable and solvent free.

Or can you use solvent -or- a biodegradable cleaner (such as the Motorex) to pre-clean before switching to NoToil?

Obviously I can a just get new filter but I was curious.

Tony

KDX CRAZY

Sep 22, 2005
I use parafin to get the oil off and then normal dishwashing liquid and water to get it clean . I use to use gas to clean the filter and was told I shouldnt do that ( didnt do anything to the filter ) .
After cleaning make sure it is completely dry before applyng the filter oil .
Never wring out the filter , just sqeeze it .
Ready-filters are a nice option if you have the money to waste , cleaning is not difficult .

JasonRan

Jun 6, 2005
I also like the Ready Filter. To me, it is worth $9.95 to get a nice fresh, pre-oiled filter and just throw it in the bike. Heck, they even come with gloves so that you don't have to get your pretty fingers dirty! :yeehaw:

crazybrit

Feb 19, 2006
I'm still confused about the capabilities of the biodegradable filter cleaners.

Clearly solvent (paraffin) and then soap/rinse is a cleaning method.

Do the biodegradeable cleaners do the same thing as solvent/soap ? Or do you still need to solvent soak before usign a special oil? I don't see anything special on the Motorex packaging, but clearly the NoToil is this way (the cleaner will only remove their vegetable based oil).

KDXdog

May 4, 2005
I have been using gasoline for YEARS to clean with no problem. Just let it dry out overnight.
That said, I've now switched to the no toil system. Great cleaning process, no more gas.The only problem I found, is that if you leave the filter in too long (months), the oil turns very sticky, and you may rip the foam trying to get the filter off a cage. Not a problem with my KDX, but trouble with my vintage bike, full perf metal cage.

crazybrit

Feb 19, 2006
To clarify, I think there are maybe two types of biodegradable cleaner.

The NoToil is I believe a vegetable based oil. It's cleaner can only remove NoToil.

Honda, Motorex and others make biodegradable cleaners. I believe (but am not sure) that these are a substitute for solvents. I see nothing on the back of the Motorex label saying it will only remove their filter oil. This leads to me to believe it will remove any petroleum based oil. No clue if it will remove NoToil.

So I think there is a middle ground between solvents and NoToil. But I could be totally wrong.

Not that I'm saying NoToil is bad, after all of this I clearly should have just got the NoToil and used some kerosene first as per the directions :)

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
I have a tall tupperware like container with a wide opening in the garage with kerosean in it. I clean the filter put the lid back on and the dirt sinks to the bottom, so its then ready for the next time.

If you do use a solvent make sure that its dry and not giving off flamable vapor before reinstalling ;)

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Directions are good....

Notoil is a good product. Easy to use, no mess to..well...mess with.

I prefer their aerosol filter oil to the liquid stuff.

Some have said they have good success with laundry detergent cleaning Notoil oiled filters. I didn't. It didn't work for diddle..three different brands.

I'm sure gas works...but keep in mind maybe a couple of little things...carcinogens...vapors that kill small animals...things blowing up...stuff like that.

Sure..folks use gasoline to clean filters. Some folks ride FZRs with no helmets and shorts, too.

After you use a solvent to clean your pet-base-oiled filter, use some detergent on it, too.

kingsxjt

Dec 7, 2003
I second the No Toil. I had been using Maxima filter Oil and PJ1 spray. Cleaned filters good and switched to No Toil. I just cleaned my first No Toil filter and it was a piece of cake. I'll never go back!

jaredrc51

Nov 16, 2005
I have use the notoil. It is good you can clean the notoil oil off with Klotz filter cleaner. That works very well the notoil oil is very tacky though.

MY KDX 220 R

Feb 9, 2005
When I bought my bike, I used regular gas to clean. Once I found out that the No-Toil was so much easier, I simply changed to the No- Toil system and have not looked back since.
No you do not need to change to a new filter. Don't forget to grease the mating surface of the filter to the air-box. ( No- Toil supplies this aswell) Kawa Chem products for this application are manufactured by No-Toil. (Dirt will hurt)

kdennan

Jan 1, 2006
I still use PJ1 cleaner and treatment. Must be a throwback to the old days when my brother used everything they made on his OSSA. It works for me. Spray on, hose off with warm water and squeeze. Hang it up to dry for a few then blow it out with the compressor. Spray on the treatment and knead it in. Rub on the Bel-Ray grease (I put it on the collar in the bike then put the filter on) and taa daa!

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
canyncarvr said:
Directions are good...]

Sure..folks use gasoline to clean filters. Some folks ride FZRs with no helmets and shorts, too.
Thats hilarious, I guess most humor is based in truth. I use mineral spirits which is similar to kerosene, then pour the remains on the weeds in cracks of my driveway. Sure, call me a environmental menace but it cant be as bad as roundup because it doesn't say anything at all about being a hazard to birds and aquatic life on the label.

white knuckes

Jul 19, 2004
i use an old brand of copier cleaner, it's like kerosene but doesn't leave an oil residue to clean it up. then i follow it with uni airfilter oil. it works great.

QLD_KDX

Aug 18, 2005
kmccune said:
If you do use a solvent make sure that its dry and not giving off flamable vapor before reinstalling ;)

and the flammable vapour will do exactly what??! blow up in your cylinder? pre-ignite in the carby along with all the other vapours?

I normally use kero, but I'm not afraid to use petrol if I have to :p

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
QLD_KDX said:
and the flammable vapour will do exactly what??! blow up in your cylinder? pre-ignite in the carby along with all the other vapours?

I normally use kero, but I'm not afraid to use petrol if I have to :p

Can you say backfire..... boom?

QLD_KDX

Aug 18, 2005
kmccune said:
Can you say backfire..... boom?
Umm, no, not in a 2 stroke I haven't. Never happened to me in over 20 years of riding, nor to anyone I know or even heard of. You have? or know of someone who has?
For the life of me, I can't see how that could happen in a 2 stroke - a backfire back through the crank, reeds, carby all the way to the filter...

Sorry, I'm not convinced petrol is bad.

Kaybeach007

Dec 7, 2004
QLD_KDX said:
Umm, no, not in a 2 stroke I haven't. Never happened to me in over 20 years of riding, nor to anyone I know or even heard of. You have? or know of someone who has?
For the life of me, I can't see how that could happen in a 2 stroke - a backfire back through the crank, reeds, carby all the way to the filter...

Sorry, I'm not convinced petrol is bad.

Thank goodness for this bit of sanity. I always have some gasoline in my garage, on Saturdays and Sundays too. For 20 years I have only used gasoline on my foam filters. The only bad thing is that I would prefer to use the gasoline in my tank, but then again it is 100 times cheaper that these fancy cleaners.

Short and sweet version, IF YOU ARE AN ENVIRONMENTALIST THEN USE THE EXPENSIVE STUFF, OTHERWISE GASOLINE IS FINE AND KILLS WEEDS TOO!!!!!!

GabeM

Apr 17, 2002
I think guys who had their KDX's backfire are the ones who first discovered the performance gains of removing the air box lid..... ;>)

strader

Nov 19, 2005
I have been using the PJ1 spray oil and cleaner for a few years. Last time I ran out of PJ1 cleaner so I just used Dawn dishwashing detergent in the kitchen sink. Worked about as well as the PJ1 spray and got off all the old oil, grease and dirt.

kdxtaz

~SPONSOR~
Mar 29, 2002
Use Oxy-Clean to clean No-Toil. It actually seems to work better than the No-Toil cleaner and you can get a giant box of it at Costco for slightly more $ than a little bottle of No-Toil cleaner.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Would you guys get a clue..... can you say 4-stroke guy reading this? Or a liberally gas soaked filter freshly done by a 12 year old, even on a 2-stroke. Do you want to say no chance of it happening?

KDX CRAZY

Sep 22, 2005
When I clean the filter with Petrol I wash it again with dishwash liquid , the petrol removes the oil quickly and the dishwash soap cleans it up like new .
(Also no scary vapours )

Top Bottom