super rat

Ass Clown at DRN
Mar 31, 2001
AUG 25—TONY ALESSI REBUTTAL

We just got off the phone with Tony Alessi, and he told us the lowdown about the Alloy clothing deal. As you know, Alloy dropped a heavy press release last night concerning the termination of Mike Alessi’s contract. According to Tony, the original Alloy contract wasn’t valid anyway. Why? The way the contract was written up, only Mike signed the deal. Under law, a 16-year-old cannot officially sign a contract and have it withstanding without parental signature.

Yet apparently the Alessi family was trying to renegotiate for a new contract with Alloy. However, the major issue that came up was when Red Bull logos (for the Red Bull/KTM team) needed to also take up space on Mike’s riding gear. According to Tony, Alloy had a severe problem with the Red Bull logos, and Mike also wanted to be allowed to wear any choice of colors in gear. As of right now, the Alessi family is looking for a new gear sponsor.

In other Alessi news, Mike’s Honda contract expires this Sunday, but Mike will still race the Steel City National on a self-purchased CRF450. He will not have any backing from Honda, and will make a go of it on from what we understand a pretty much bone stock bike.

As for the Glen Helen National, Alessi might make his KTM debut aboard a 450 depending on if he can adapt to the bike in the time between Steel City and Glen Helen (six days). One thing is certain; Mike Alessi will be racing the last two Nationals in the 250 class.

From MXA.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
So Alloy dropped that bombshell press release for something as simple as that? Seems to be typical gear contract negotiating points. Someone isn't telling the whole story me thinks.

Jeff Howe

Apr 19, 2000
I think Tony just screwed them because of the Red Bull logo thing. If I was Alloy I wouldn't want those Red Bull logo's covering my own either. I think Tony just said "screw you, we can get out of it if you don't do what I say" and at that point I'm sure Alloy had enough of him. Either way, it seems Alloy got the shaft from Tony Alessi.

markthomps

Sponsoring Member
May 27, 2000
Yeah, I REALLY believe Papa Alessi and all those corporate types at Alloy would allow a 16-year-old to sign a high-dollar endorsement contract all by himself. How stupid does Tony think we are? Wait, better not answer that as you won't like it. This is just more of the Alessi BS Spin to things.

I also loved how he talked about KTM being a "stepping stone" for duh kid. I think the fact that Honda decided not to sign them up even though they've got no name riders signed for '05, speaks volumes about what the Alessi's are really like. KTM will probably live to regret this decision.

Like others, I've sent off a congratulations msg to Alloy and gotten a "thanks" response. I'll be looking to get some of their gear as well.

Jeff Howe

Apr 19, 2000
Well, as usual I was completely wrong. Tony was lying and the contracts were binding but Alloy has just simply had enough of them and tossed them to the wind. Good riddance the way it sounds.

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
AUG 26-ALLOY'S REBUTTAL

(Editors note: Yesterday, we had a lengthy phone conversation with Tony Alessi about the contract termination between Alloy motocross gear and the Alessi family. We would like you to know that the comments in the article entitled "Tony Alessi Rebuttal" came indirectly from Mr. Alessi (as it wasn't an interview, but instead an overview of what he said). At MXA, we are fair in showing both sides of the story, unedited and straightforward. Today, Alloy responded to Tony Alessi's rebuttal.)

Yorba Linda CA, August 26th 2004

Following the recent article posted on the web site motocrossactionmag.com titled "Tony Alessi Rebuttal". ALLOY MX would like to clarify some of the statements that were made incorrectly in that article.

• Individual contracts were signed with both Mike and Jeff Alessi in 2002. These contracts were counter signed by Mr Tony Alessi as their legal guardian.

• Each contract was valid, these contracts commenced January 1st 2003 and expired December 31st 2005 with a further option period.

• Each contract year for both Mike and Jeff have been paid in full. 2003 was paid prior to the start date of the contract, 2004 was paid according to the terms of the contract with the final payment made in May 2004. They are paid in full up to 1st January 2005.

• ALLOY MX terminated their relationship with Mike, Jeff and Tony Alessi not because of any conflict with additional contracts that Tony Alessi was considering.

• ALLOY MX terminated their relationship based on the continual failure of the athletes involved to fulfill their contractual obligations despite written requests to do so. This was not restricted to issues regarding clothing, it included not only their behavior and conduct on and off the racetrack but also that of their father.

• ALLOY MX was not presented with any requests to consider with regards to a potential contract from team Red Bull/KTM.

Neil Calvesbert commented "We really did not expect this to become such a debate, this is not something we took pleasure in doing. No one had a smile on their faces when the decision to terminate our relationships with the Alessi’s was made. However, despite our requests they refused to fulfill their obligations or change their conduct, the spectacle at this past weekend’s Bounty Hunter race convinced us that we had to end this relationship; it was not something we could be a part of any longer.
Calvesbert continues "This had nothing to do with invalid contracts or conflicting agreements that we are aware of. We had no communication with Red Bull/KTM, Tony had been talking to them for several months but like everyone knows one day it was Honda and the next KTM. Prior to Millville we had direct discussions with Honda regarding their requirements for their corporate logos and team sponsors on our clothing. We were able to accommodate their requests and Tony was advised of this. If someone had talked to us about any requirements that Red Bull or KTM had then I am sure we could have accommodated them too. No such discussion took place. If Tony Alessi or their management had pulled the "Invalid contract" card and we had wanted to keep Mike and Jeff on our program we would have took every step required by law to enforce our contracts with them.

"I laughed when I read the comments on MXA, they chose to release that without checking the facts. I am grateful that Tony Alessi and his sons graciously accepted substantial payments from ALLOY MX for the last 25 months when they had no obligation to do so because our contracts in their eyes were invalid. I am now wondering if they will return any of the money to us? I can understand Tony wants to look like he pulled the trigger on this, he graves that power and I have no problem with that. Actually, it makes the technicalities of the situation much more straightforward. His statements make everything much more simple".

In closing Calvesbert added "There were a couple of items in our press release that seemed to cause confusion which I should clarify: First, ALLOY MX was not disappointed with Mike’s race performance at Millville. The kid did great, first race in the big show, despite problems in the first moto he was holding down 7th place in the 2nd against the best riders in the world. We were stoked; everyone around him should have been stoked for him.
Second, ALLOY MX has ended their relationship with everything Alessi. That includes Jeff Alessi.

I hope this closes the chapter and everyone can move on. They have what they need, the freedom to do whatever they want, we are not holding them to anything which they know we could. I know Mike will go on and win many races; he has great ability on a motorcycle and so does Jeff. I wish both Mike and Jeff the very best with their careers"

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
I just got a "thank you" response from Alloy too. Thought I'd share it:

On behalf of Alloy MX, I would like to thank you for the support in input
regarding this matter. We felt that we were making the right decision and
responses like this simply affirm it. We greatly appreciate the loyalty to
the company and to the dignity of the sport!

Thanks again!
Alloy MX

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Alloy is cool. I got a letter back from them.

Funny thing is, I also got something back from Alesi Racing. I believe this was in response to my Jon Bonnet Ramsey e mail.

Dear Roland,

thanks for your interest in alessi racing

your first alessi weekly will be sent tomorrow( sat evening)

all the best

alessi family

I cannot wait. The letter did not use any capitol letters or punctuation. I know it is authentic.

Top Bottom