MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
I've been doing some research on enclosed trailers. We want one w/living quarters. We are looking at a 7x14 or 7x16. I drive a '98 4x4 Ford Explorer w/ the 5.0 V8. Anyway, I came across the All State trailers, one of the trailers is called the Escape Package http://www.allstatetrailers.com/Detail.asp?id=9
We have looked at these before, much larger versions though. My question is does anyone have one?
There are only two of us, and two bikes. We don't really want anything bigger. Will we feel cramped? Will it pull pretty decent?
I have tried to contact the company for a price, but no one has responded. Of course I work when they are open for business...
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Tracie

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
I don't have one with a store bought interior, but I do have a 7x14 Pace trailer that I can carry up to 4 bikes in. I put a cabinet across the front and we wired it with 30 amps of power. Additionally it has 12 volt lighting. We (my son Jeff, Gene, and I) used it in Moab this spring. We left the bikes outside and slept on air mattresses on the floor. We stayed at a KOA campground so we didn't have to worry about the bikes and had 30A power to boot. I have a small microwave inside of it as well. It was a bit crowded, but all in all not a bad way to go.

I would look closely at the load issue. I have never weighted the trailer loaded, but can assure you that it is heavy when loaded and although it doesn't put a strain on my truck, it is only because I have a 3/4 ton 4dr 4x4 Sierra with a Duramax diesel backed up with an Allison transmission.

Tony Williams

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2000
Tony Eeds said:
it doesn't put a strain on my truck, it is only because I have a 3/4 ton 4dr 4x4 Sierra with a Duramax diesel backed up with an Allison transmission.

I've got that same truck in red... you could haul two of those trailers and that truck wouldn't even know they're back there.

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
Those trailers do look pretty cool. I'd be a little concerned about pulling a loaded one behind an Explorer. The good thing about going with the size you're looking at is the tandem axle will definitely make it tow easier but with the relatively light weight of the Explorer I'd be afraid the trailer would be a lot to handle when loaded.

kdx200chick

Mar 27, 2004
We HAD a explorer that we used when pulling our enclosed
6 X 12 trailer. The tranny felt like it was going to give. We got rid of the explorer and got a Silverado crewcab longbed diesel w/ the duromax and allison tranny. You can't even FEEL the trailer behind that baby. Someday we will trade that trailer in for a toybox...For now, we sleep on the ground on mattresses and sleep just fine... :aj:

SCHLAVA

Jan 12, 2001
Your explorer will pull it fine. My parents regularly pull a 26ft camper to travel with all the time. I pulled it once for them and it had plenty.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
We pulled a 6x12 no problem, w/ 3 full size bikes in it. We are going to put new shocks on it. Maybe add a leaf (right word?) to the rear suspension. According to the manual we can tow 10,000-11,000lbs...

We just don't want to buy something, and not be able to tow it. I just got that truck in June. Phil's Dakota can't haul anything too big (only has the 3.9 V6).

Top Bottom