zooloman

Jul 10, 2007
Hello, i bought my bike used its a 2000 rm 125, and i had it for about 4 months...right when i bought it the oil was always had a grey color to it with aluminum shavings, and i thought it was normal, but its not, can anyone tell me what could be the problems and where the aluminum shavings are coming from?? i took apart my clutch and its fine, im not sure if i need a new head gasket, water pump, or bearings...please reply on what you think.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Are we talking really fine flecks of shavings? or chunks of aluminum? My guess is it's really fine and it's simply clutch debris, both of my sons RM125's had shavings on the magnetic drain plug every oil change.

keefbikes

Apr 16, 2007
Ya, every bike I have had has had some small shavings from the clutch on the plug. the grey can be from water getting into your oil. Watch your coolant levels.

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
if your gearbox oil is not the rigth one could make the oil a little grey after you take a ride, like if there are tiny bubbles in the oil... the head gasket leaks make the coolant more like brown and coolant leaks make light grey like you said...

Last edited:

Yz_250f

Apr 13, 2021
image.jpg
ya as long as the aluminum peices are not significant chunks, those fine shavings are totally normal.
I have chunks of aluminum in my oil as well.... I Had a helicoil installed cause my oil drain bolt was stripped I noticed a lot of them after that there pretty big chunks... any idea how I can get rid of them I’ve been ridding the bike as well I keep doing oil changes but I keep getting a few every time

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I think you already answered your question. They started appearing after the heili coil was installed. The picture is a bit blurry but they look like curled aluminum flakes left over from drilling out the hole to install the coil. Who ever did it wasn't careful to keep the chips out of the tranny case.

I wouldn't worry about it. They will come out with oil changes (make sure the oil is hot so it will flow out faster) and being soft aluminum, the gears won't be affected. If you are still concerned, just flush them out with fresh oil or kerosene. Make sure all the kerosene has been flushed with more oil.

If you ever have to have it drilled out again, put some grease on the flutes of the drill bit to catch the flakes. I usually take my time and pull the drill bit out frequently to clean it off so the chips don't build up.

Last edited:

Kaboom Racing

Apr 26, 2021
WA
If it is really bad, and you don't want to split the cases to investigate further, you could try filling/draining the case with diesel fuel to flush out any AL filings...Id remove the clutch plates and do not attempt to start until filled back with oil.

Top Bottom