Am I going to be disappointed?

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
After coming off of a stock 92 CR125, would I be disappointed in any way going to a KDX200? Are parts cheaper/easier to come across for a KDX? I see them all over the place and I'm assuming there's a reason for that??? Or should I not assume? I haven't quite settled on which bike I plan to get. I do know that I'm sticking to 2-strokes (they are just too cool) I'm still a rookie when it comes to this stuff and VERY new to anything other than Honda. Any opinions/experiences/bs etc is greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)

Perk

~SPONSOR~
Sep 17, 2001
If you are looking for a bike to be used mainly for woods riding, and want something that is very easy to make competitive for hare scrambles then the KDX is a great choice. The tighter the terrain, the better. If you crave a big hit and more open terrain, I would probably stay with a motocross bike. What you need to figure out, is what type of riding do you plan on doing the most?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
But then, I know a local guy that rides a KTM125 in the woods. He's faster than most, green or otherwise.

If you really USE what that CR puts out, I doubt you'd be happy with a kdx. The 'rookie' comment likely precludes that from being true.

It's also the 'rookie' comment that makes me think you'd LOVE a kdx in the woods.

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Sorry, I failed to include the type of riding I prefer... Trails, trails and more trails. I plan on entering hare scrambles next season, maybe a couple end of the summer this year. We'll see. I have no desires to get into MX or SX anytime soon, if ever at all. The last bike I had was given to me so I didn't complain about what model it was. I'm not power hungry at this particular moment, but it'll come soon enough. I love to jump... can't say that I have any business attempting to do so, but I don't care. As for the *rookie* comment, I was referring to my experience with other bikes. I'm pretty happy with how my skills are progressing, but I'm always up for challenges. Thanks guys/gals.

Perk

~SPONSOR~
Sep 17, 2001
I would say the KDX would be a near perfect choice for you. Later on as you progress, it can progress with you. Later when you become a woods master, you may want to get a more agressive/race oriented bike. I'm a quick "C" rider or maybe a slow "B" rider and the bike is still a good bit better than I am.

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
I see you live in Washington. i live in Oregon and we have plenty of trails a 125 can handle but......some places I ride are just way to difficult for a 125 to handle. They don't have enough low end to even think about going up some of the technical trail/hills. If you ride alot of knarly tight root and rock infested steep trails you will be very impressed with the KDX. Its about the closest you can get to a 4-stroke without having to downgrade yourself to one.

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Thanks guys. I've convinced myself (with some outside help) that the KDX is what I'm after. Sheesh, shopping for a new bike is more work than I expected. I'll post pictures as soon as I get the new kid settled in. :aj:

kdxtaz

~SPONSOR~
Mar 29, 2002
I used to have a KX125. Sold it & got a KDX. Was the 125 faster? Yes. Could it hillclimb? Sure it could. Just hit it at WOT & stay there. Anything less, & you'd better know how to fan a clutch. What about 18inch deep water crossings w/ mud & rock bottoms? No problem. Again WOT, & be prepared to pick your bike up as well as yourself on the other side. It was a great bike, but I just got tired of wheelien' toward trees and cliffs on my favorite steep, twisty, single track trails.(I'm funny that way). For me, the decision to buy a KDX was a good one! :D

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
dirty-d: S. OR. mra puts on the timber mtn hare scramble in april or so. You should put it on your list of 'things to do' with your new kdx.

I intended no slight with the 'rookie' comment. Heck..I should be so good! It's not possible to tell from a few words what a rider is really after. As kdxtaz sez, a 125 is a handful! I have NO idea why ANYone would want to ride one 'round here. Makes no sense at all to me. But then, seeing chad (the 125er mentioned above) get ANYwhere in 1/2 the time of anyone else makes it obvious that a 125 CAN get the job done...if you don't mind the 'wheelien' parts;)!

BTW..don't know if you've looked at both the 200/220. The 200 has a more 'scream' potential. Still, can be setup to be as much a tractor as you'd reasonably need.

Enjoy your new bike!!

See you on the peak sometime!

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
The model is going to depend on the availability. My friend has informed me that he knows someone who is selling a '97 220. Not sure what the price is going to be just yet, but if it's within my means then I'll snag it. If he wants more than I can afford then I'll just get a '02 200 from the dealer. I'll let you guys know as soon as I do. :) I'm so excited!!!! I love new toys. :aj:

By the way... I tried to give you guys mojo for being cool dudes, but I can't tell if it worked. I kept getting a blank box once I'd click the mojo button. :think: :confused:

Last edited:

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
dirty~d~, just thought i'd pipe in and give my $.02
I just went from a cr80 to a KDX, and couldn't be happier. Think a 125 is tough to ride gnarly stuff on? Try an 80 :moon: I would tell you how much I am glad I bought one for weeks, but I'll let you experience that feeling for yourself when you get lucky enough to hop onto one :) :)

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
dirty~d~:
The 'blank box' is for comments. Those comments are shown to the user if the user checks his/her control panel (cp). Comments are not required to render 'mojo'.

Check yours...it'll say 'hi from the state of jefferson!'

You'll LOVE the kdx!!

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Thanks dude. I just got the mojo. You rock!! State of Jefferson, eh? Hehehe... too funny.

I know about the comments box... I get the screen that asks for good/bad mojo and room for comments. Then I click the submit button and the window goes blank as in WHITE blank. So I can't tell if my mojo is going through or not. :( I wanna be nice, but I can't!!! :whiner: :whiner:

As for the bike... just bought one over the phone!!!!! YEAH!!! A 97 KDX220. I'd like to thank Sage for making this moment possible. :) He's one awesome dude. :aj:

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Ok now it's working. Uh, hmmm, never mind. :) Now I can be nice. ;) Or not nice. Hehehehe :p

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Well now...THIS ought to lose me a few points!!

Yanno...I thought for YEARS it was:
''Scuse me, while I kiss this guy!'

Thought it was part of being hazy?? :( ...or maybe purple?

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
WHAT???!!! You're lucky I already gave you good mojo on this thread dude. ;) I'll get ya next time around. :p hehehehehe. :moon:

teamgrizzly

Nov 25, 1999
A properly set-up KDX just rocks for hare scrambles, in the nasty stuff, you'll find yourself slowing down a lot less. A good set of barkbusters and a set of Michelin M-12's and you're off to a good start.

Ex-KDX pilot Mike / Team Grizzly Racing

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Diane, make sure you get the correct spring rates for you. Have a chat with Sage about that, he should be able to fix you up.
If you find the bike too heavy, try running it with less than a full tank of gas (it's got reserve, which is about 3 litres, so good for a fair bit of travel).
Check out the justkdx website: http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/ for mods you can make/do & jetting tips.
You won't be disappointed with the bike, they honestly are good bikes, maybe not modern or pretty but they'll get you on the road to the "pretty" bikes (in the meantime, you can keep dreaming & crashing without worrying about scuffing them up - I'm amazed as to how well the plastic bends without breaking lol).
Don't forget to give us a ride report when you get her.
Michelle

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Already bought a 97 KDX220. :) Thanks Michelle. Sage is already helping me out with it. Actually he's the one who helped me find the bike in the first place. I will definitely keep you guys/gals posted on my first riding experience. I can't wait!!!

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Diane, you may even want to consider a Gas Gas Pampera 250/280, bike is a great trail and enduro weapon. If you are on the taller side, then the KDX will be great. Have you considered the GG200 or KTM200 ?

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Nope and I don't plan on it at this time. I just bought the KDX so it's going to be a while before I buy another bike. Thanks though.

Top Bottom