Hogwylde

Aug 1, 2001
Chapter 3, Section C, Paragraph 16 states "No radio communication with riders is permitted."

Now my question.......a CELL PHONE is NOT a radio, but it does use "the wireless transmission and reception of electric impulses or signals by means of electromagnetic waves "--(Websters Dictionary). So, would the use of a cell phone constitute the use of "radio communication with riders" during a race???

Hogwylde

Aug 1, 2001
Thanx....

The reason I'm asking is that I ride hare scrambles and it's really hard to tell when I'm coming after I've got a layer of mud on me and someone is trying to find my through a black and white viewfinder on a camcorder. With a headset on my cell phone, they would be able to know where I am and when to expect me to come by there position.

Even though I'm running C class this year and I'm just out there to have fun, I dont want to risk a disqualification for rules violation.

KWJams

~SPONSOR~
Sep 22, 2000
one protest from another rider to ruin your weekend. :(

It may be better to have a spotter working with whoever is filming for you.

It may sound like a petty rule, but the rule was probably made because someone abused it in the past which gave them an unfair advantage.

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
If I remember right, that rule was put in about the time CB radios became popular. There were some cases of riders using them during enduros and hare scramble to gain information about check placement etc.

While the wording in the rule may be slightly dated with the popularity of cell phones I believe the intent of the rule is still the same. No electronic communication with the rider is allowed.

If you are concerned about your pit crew not being able to spot you then just ware a bright colored armband or something. Anything that will make you easily identifiable. :)

Hope this helps.

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
A cell phone uses radio frequencies to transmit it's messages. It is outside
assistance and is illegal in AMA Sports activities based on both outside
assistance and radio communications rules.

thats from the rules dept.

wardy

Top Bottom