What is your average Gross Annual Income? (Votes are not Public)

• Less than $20k

Votes: 36 10.6%
  • $20k-$39k

Votes: 41 12.1%
  • $40k-$79k

Votes: 125 36.9%
  • $80k-$99k

Votes: 49 14.5%
  • $100k+

Votes: 72 21.2%
  • None of your business :-)

Votes: 16 4.7%

• Total voters

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
I was thinking earlier about what the average annual income is in the general dirtbiking population. I know that the DRN population isin't really an average sampling of the dirtbike community as a whole as far as knowledge goes, but I figure that it is an accurite sampling of income levels. I know that it is possible to own and operate fairly new dirtbikes at a low income level. I'm a colledge student and have very little "extra" money, It's just a matter of how we arrange our priority list and where we place this sport on that list list. As an example, I spend somewhere around 25-50% of my total net income on dirtbikes, parts, fuel, gear, etc. I have a prediction that if enough people participate in this poll, we'll find that an almost bell shaped curve, but with a greater number of people being in the above median income groups rather than in the below median income groups. Hardly scientific, but still something I've always been curious about.

Last edited:

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Interesting ... can the tax man see this? :ohmy:

CRguyStan

Dec 10, 2001
Masterphil,
I think a slight clarification may be required to more accuratly gauge the results. Should the income be only the poster, only the rider(s) in the household, all parties in the household. If this is for only the poster, I need some advice how to get to the 27% in the 100k plus category!
Stan

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
I see where you're coming from Phil...I often wonder about how I afforded all my stuff when I first started out...

Then I remember, I lived at home at the time! :)

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
squeaky said:
I often wonder about how I afforded all my stuff when I first started out...

when i first started out, i didn't have any major bills. i had more cash in pocket than i do now even though my income has more than quadrupled. poor planning, i guess. well, actually no planning. :ahhh:

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
squeaky said:
I see where you're coming from Phil...I often wonder about how I afforded all my stuff when I first started out...

Then I remember, I lived at home at the time! :)

That's my trick, for now.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
mx547 said:
when i first started out, i didn't have any major bills. i had more cash in pocket than i do now even though my income has more than quadrupled. poor planning, i guess. well, actually no planning. :ahhh:

Here we are stumbling into the future ...

When I graduated high school, I thought I would be rich if I could ever make $650 a month. Now I am thrilled if I get to KEEP $650 per month :ohmy:

I'm guessing the curve will not form up correctly because your catagories are a bit off in terms of distribution. Still interesting though.

Regarding the joint vs. individual income comment ... joint. Somewhere in the small print it says ... what is mine is mine and what is yours is mine ... at least that is how the judge on most divorce courts see it anyway. :laugh:

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
Masterphil,
I voted but I'm curious how you came up with the ranges you chose? I'm a phd student so I've spent a reasonable amount of time studying stats and questionarre construction etc. Seems odd to me that the ranges aren't all 20k increments? Just a guess but that 40-80k range would likely capture a majority on a forum about recipes, music or really anything where a the participants have internet access, a pc and a little time to to bother?

Vince Lombardi once said there are lies, damn lies, and then statistics.
I had a phd prof who said that most people use statistics the way a drunk man uses a street light, for support rather than illumination :)

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
Haji- That was because i can't add by 20's in my head. I really don't know how that happened, but that wasn't my intention. I'm not trying to prove anything with this poll, it's a "take it for what it's worth" deal.

Someone edited my poll with another catagory labled "none of your business :-)". I can't figure out how to edit the poll, I don't think I have the ability to anyhow. Could you delete the "40-80k" group votes and split it into 2 groups. A "40-59K" group and a "60-80K" group. Would be much appreciated.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
If you edit it now and split up the 40-79, you'll lose the integrity of where the 28 people in that current bucket belong (and they won't be able to vote again, as they already voted). Doh! :bang:

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
Masterphil said:
Haji- That was because i can't add by 20's in my head. I really don't know how that happened, but that wasn't my intention. I'm not trying to prove anything with this poll, it's a "take it for what it's worth" deal.

Someone edited my poll with another catagory labled "none of your business :-)". I can't figure out how to edit the poll, I don't think I have the ability to anyhow. Could you delete the "40-80k" group votes and split it into 2 groups. A "40-59K" group and a "60-80K" group. Would be much appreciated.

haha, no big deal I was just curious and I thought the poll was interesting. It is an expensive hobby no matter how you slice it up. I've been involved in it for 6 months and though I didn't "need" that new bike, I now have over $10,000 in it between bikes for my son and I, gear and lessons/race fees, trailers, truck blah blah blah.

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
I guess the only solution now is to nuke the post and do it right next time...

OR....

I could leave it like this, expecting that the majority of people will fall within that group, not caring about that fact, and look at the number of people that are either above or below the group. Because as it is now, that group is the median group, but if I split it, there would not be a median group. I think it works out better this way anyhow.

Oh, that "take it for what it's worth" comment was no pun inteded...

Haji-
Ain't that the truth, after I get my tax return back, I'm going to dump about $2000 on a truck. It's a long story, but dad used to have a truck I could use and dosen't anymore, so I've been stuck riding around here for the past 6 months. This summer is "new gear year" so I'll be getting a new helmet (really need this), jersey/pants, books, and a pair of Asterisks. After all that I'll have spent about $1000.

This is much more than a "sport", it's a Lifestyle.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
While this sport is expensive, it's still possible to manage on a low income. Used bikes, older gear, etc are what I deal with. I'm a university student living on my own so my spare cash is almost nil. But, through some careful budgeting I manage to do alright, my bike is in good shape, my gear is decent and I still have a lot of fun.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Hmm, I need to find me a sugar daddy on this site.... :nener:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I need a sugar daddy too, Nik. Or a sugar mommy. However it works out.

I can lift heavy things.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
the American dream , a woman that can clear doubles with dees, i meant decent job , oops sorry thats just mine :boss:

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
nikki said:
Hmm, I need to find me a sugar daddy on this site.... :nener:

How does, "I'll be your sugar daddy" compare to........."I'll be your Huckelberry?"

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
cost of living dictates standard of living as well. If I moved to a big city, i'd have to make 2-3 times as much to have the same standard of living. There are calculators for that on the 'net (not sure how accurate though) where you can convert depending on where you want to live.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
poll; how many voted for household how many individual??

2stroke

Nov 7, 2001
Jeez...what a poll. Interesting to be sure. Me, Ive always been ultra low budget. Got married at 18 and started in on the family right away. 16 years, five kids, and a college degree later I suppose Im doing alright on most charts of national averages and such, but as for extra income?!? its an alien concept to me. :yikes:

You know those social security statements they send you now and then? I look back at years past, and wonder how in the world I ever made it back then, but all in all I dont have any more extra money these days! Its an admitted fault in my management for sure. I spend 102 percent of my money.

the 2 percent is on my stable of rare and incureable motorcycles. :nod:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
HajiWasAPunk said:
"Extra Income" is the biggest oxymoron ever. :laugh:
and then there's "disposable income". I don't know about you, but I don't have any that I can dispose of.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
All mine gets disposed of in quick order.

Top Bottom