Cambridge

Feb 23, 2007
Hi I need a new back tire for my 125, 100/90-19

The conditions I ride in are just hardpack now (summer time) so I am after a tire with GOOD durability and good performance in harpack. When the track has had work done on it, there is a soft layer ontop of the hardpack aswell.

I was thinking Maxxis IT, Michelin M12 / MH3, Kenda Washougal / Budds creek. I am trying to stay away from hardpack specific tires as they usually wear too soon. I dont really care about price, aslong as they grip good and wear well! If there is a different tire I should check out please let me know!

I understand that there are lots of tire threads, however opinions keep changing from year to year! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
I'm a Dunlop man myself. Nothing I've run performs as well all around. I run the 756 or 952 on hardpack, 952's last a little longer. They wear down quick, but not excessively fast. They are relatively resistant to chunking. Michelins last forever, but sacrifice performance as a result.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Just the M12, IMO. M12 rear has very stiff sidewalls and deep lugs, so it does last awhile. I had one once and found it was tolerable with very low air pressures (9 lbs) but just not a good performer.

I love the S12 as a versatile all around tire that excels in soft terrain. If you have deep silt in many areas over your hardpack track, it would be worth considering. As witih other Michelins, a 130 width is comparable to other brands 110 width.

Another versatile tire is the Maxxis SI (Soft Intermediate), but the IT is probably better for your conditions.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I have not used either in a long time, though I've heard some of the Pirelli soft terrain/mud tires and some of their dual sport tires are excellent for those applications. Lots of guys I know like the Kenda Millville, but I don't know about the ones you mentioned.

mkelly04

Jul 27, 2007
I prefer the Dunlop 756 but they do wear fast on hardpack.

The Michelin Starcross IT seems to hold up well on hardpack but doesnt grip as well as the 756.

Top Bottom