woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
HI Folks:
I havent had ANY time to ride lately because of WORK. No ride = no ride reports!! I have really been missing that too (ride reports) so I thought I would just write something to let you all know I was still alive..
I received this e-mail from my Cousin about his road bike and I thought you all might enjoy the dialog, so here it is. Keep in mind that this REALLY did happen this way!! We will title this one:
A WOODSY IS ALSO A ROADSY!!

Scott,

Took a nice ride last night with friends. They live up on the east side of Twin Lake. We drove to their house and then drove with them over to the JJ Ranch for dinner, and then home the back way all along the lakes and into North Muskegon. A short ride, but nice (even though we got a little wet at the end).
When we were out on the expressway for a little bit I noticed JR (my friend) on his Gold Wing had some nice foot rests up front where he could strech his legs out and ride. It seems like that other Virago had some kind of an engine guard with foot pegs on it (the other one at Shawmut Hills that we didn't buy).
I was wondering if that type of an attachment is something I could get and just bolt on when I was taking a longer trip overnight or something. I don't think I'd want that thing on there slowing me down all the time . . .
but it might be nice for longer trips.
What do you think?
There is a bike show down at Pere Marquette Park on Sunday, August 31st. I thought maybe I'd go to that cuz I want to look at a bunch of bikes . . .
also maybe get some ideas for myself, like options for stretching my legs.
Lets ride together sometime,
NAME DELETED
P.S. JR made me ride staggered behind him for saftety. Do you ride side
by side??
PP.SS. I rode a little ways without my helmet the other day and liked it a lot. I'm thinking of moving to another state where I don't have to wear a helmet :-)

Hi ya NAME DELETED:
Sounds like you are full of all kinds of really great ideas. The one about moving to another state because of the freedom of not wearing a helmet is one that has crossed my mind MANY times!! If it werent for the fact that I have soooo many great relatives here I would be gone!
I just told my daughter Tami what you said about that (moving to FREEDOM) and she laughed and shook her head in agreement (she has crossed the country a few times on a scoot and ALWAYS been the first to remove her hat at the Indiana line!!) - of course she is also sitting on the couch with a broken wrist from roller bladeing LOL.
A strong suggestion about the "no helmet" idea. Be really careful about who you suggest that to. I remember getting into a conversation (that I didnt start) with Uncle #### about the helmet laws and he feels like ANYONE who would ride one of these "things" without a helmet on has a screw loose :)))
Soooo glad to hear you are getting some ride time in. I havent had much of a chance to put any decent miles on cause of work. Oh well, my time is coming! Wanna ride to Utah?
I know what you mean about "highway bars". It is always nice to have an extra place to put your feet when riding any distance. I will look and see what I can get for your bike. Maybe something inconspicuios (sp)?
Now a story... Back in the seventys when you and I were still kids, I talked Dwight into going out west with me on our 650 Yams. This was way before the "yuppy" roadbike movement had started so most of the current comfort improvement devices (like highway bars) hadnt been approved by the DOT yet.
I had already logged a few trips containing more then 5000 miles each and had therefore compliled a really good "bag of tricks" for such trips. One of them was the habit of putting tooth pics between the throttle and its case to lock the throttle, putting my feet up on the blinkers and leaning back on the sleeping bag (VERY COMFORTABLE!!!!). I would ride those western highways for MILES like that steering with my feet!!
Dwight and I were doing just that out in the Badlands when I noticed he wasnt beside me anymore (this should answer another one of your quesions - I RIDE SIDE BY SIDE). I put my feet down and looked behind me - NO DWIGHT ANYWHERE!! In the Badlands, anywhere means within 30 miles LOL!!
I turned around and rode back about 1 hour and found him walking down the side of the road. He said his bike blew up. I said I thought we probably ought to go back and check it before we just left it out in the desert for some cowboy to take home and tell his mom he found a perfectly good motorcycle!
We went back, I did a quick diagnostics on it and found out that the motor was fine. He had shorted out a blinker from putting to much weight on it/bending it down (his feet were REAL heavy back then) and took out a fuse!
Moral of the story is (according to him): Dont memic Scott, dont ride with Scott, dont cross the country with Scott, dont trust Scott with 9 days of your life, dont marry someone with a brother who is a bike fanatic (loser), and most important of all - PRAY that someone invents highway bars soon!
Your in luck as far as the latter goes - I will see what I can find!
Scott

All for now!
Carpe Diem - NOT THE BIKE!!
Woodsy

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom