Antifreeze leaked into cylinder!!!2000RM250

ckassen

Jun 26, 2007
I was riding my bike this morning and it suddenly made a screeching noise. I shut the bike off immediately. I then waited a few minutes and fired it back up for a second and it was still there and so i shut it off a loaded it up. I got home and drained the antifreeze it was a dark green. uh oh!...I pull the head off and notice that the inner seal for the head was green and that everywhere on the head was black except for one spot (about an inch) where apparently the antifreeze washed the oil off. In the same spot on the cylinder there are black streaks going down about 1/4 way down the cylinder. When you run your finger on them you can BARELY feel some roughness or uneveness.

What should I do? besides of course get a new seal...

2000RM250 with 265 low-mid eric gorr kit...

thanks,
Chris

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
If there is any question about the cylinder I would have it looked at by a shop. I would certainly say that it is time for a top end rebuild.

The screeching noise may have come from the water pump. It may have been a chicken/egg thing as to which came first, but I bet that both the water pump seal and the bearing are toast.

Rod

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Maybe. If the water pump bearing is bad then when you tear it apart the bearing may come out in pieces. Make sure you account for all the pieces....

If the bearing is intact you may be able to visually see that it is bad.

I recommend that you just cover all bases and replace the bearing and seal.

Rod

Top Bottom