DirtFamily

Jan 2, 2002
Just wondering if anyone has heard anything on these bikes that are supposed to be coming out in the spring. I want more power, but due to my height, I ride an xr200 now. I believe the cr230F is supposed to be about the same seat height as the xr200.
Thanks in advance.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
I happened to stop by the Honda shop over the holidays and asked the saleman just that question. Well I almost got my head bit off! He went on and on about how it is not released yet and how it was just rumors! I told him that I saw the RUMOR on HONDAs web page but it didn't faze him. All I can say is it will be awhile before I go back to "Tousley Motor Sports Inc"!

Oh ya, I have not seen anything else on the CRF230 ether.

Kevin

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
All I know is what I've seen and read at Honda's site. Last I heard, the CRF230F and the 150 were to be released in the fall of '02 as 2003 models.

BUCKWHEAT

Nov 14, 1999
I read that the CRF150 and 230 share the same crankcase. That might make it possible to fit the 230 engine in the 150 chassis. Now if Honda would only put real suspension on the little one. BBR should be all over this.

Thump on!

woods_rider1

Sep 27, 2001
its too bad that they are being touted as CRF's when in reality they will be little more than cosmetically updated XR's... Look at the photos on the website. I had parts like that on my 70's era XR 80 when I was a kid! Sorry to be the one who said "I told you so" but I wouldnt hold my breath on these bikes being anything more than a few old parts left over in the Honda warehouse recycled into a "brand spankin' new" CRF with a hefty price tag...
This is 2002, drum brakes??? get real honda!! If it looks like an XR and runs like an XR, then dont sell it as a CRF... the consumer is not that gullible.

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
These bikes are marketed directly at the TT-R125 and TT-R225. Honda claims they are the first in the new "CRF line of trail bikes." Hence the "F" at the end of the model name, as opposed to the "R" on the CRF450R.

CR500Racer

Dec 8, 2001
CRF230R: Honda has XR50's, 70's, and 80's, so its not much of a suprise that the CRF230R is wedged between the XR200R and the XR250R. Despite the CRF styling, the 230R is air cooled, and has a drum rear brake. so its closer to the XR250R in Technology. It has the same motor as the 150 but with revised bore and stroke and electric starting.

Believe you me... both the 150 and the 230 are just different looking XR's.
PERIOD!

DirtFamily

Jan 2, 2002
Thanks for the input!

Now looking at a used KDX 200 that's already dropped in the suspension and will give me more power :)
Katie

woods_rider1

Sep 27, 2001
dirtfamily
For the type of bike you are looking for, I think the KDX will make an excellent choice. You can find one already modified relatively cheap, and the best part... they last forever, virtually unbreakable! I had my last KDX for 8 years with not one mechanical failure...

BUCKWHEAT

Nov 14, 1999
C'mon, let's give Big Red some credit. I'm sure there are some good reasons they put rear drum brakes on the new CRF150 and 230.

First, it will make you ride faster because they don't stop as well as disks. But only when hot, cold, dusty, wet, etc...

Second, weight equals traction and the drum units place a little extra right over the contact patch.

Lastly, they can be a pain to deal with when taking off or putting on the rear wheel. Hondas giving you some chances to brush up on your French.:scream:

Thump on!

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
It is definately clear these bikes are little more than warmed-over XR's. However, Honda didn't need to build much more than that to compete with Yamaha TT-Rs. I really don't understand why Honda didn't just update the XR100 and 200, instead of coming out with new models. Leave it to Honda to do the least logical thing.

Jay-R

Nov 27, 2001
This is the result of raising the R&D money on the XR 100 and 200 from $25 to $200 per year. The depressing thing is that Honda could build better enduro machines than KTM but they try to make all of their money on XR's to support the development of their CR's and Ricky's salary. :ugg:

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
Honda markets the XR's toward the "weekend warrior" trail rider type. The bad part is, I think Honda truly believes that the weekend warrior guys (like me) are only interested in a plush, comfy, slow trail bike...proabably the main reason they don't want to sell an off-road version of the CRF. Just because people don't race, doesn't mean they're not interested in high-performance machines. Yes, there are some people that are extremely happy with their XR's, but its time for Honda to step up to the plate and build a serious four-stroke woods weapon.

ozspode

Dec 13, 2001
Im thinking Honda has aimed these bikes squarely at the female rider market and about time I say. When my wife saw the 230 had electric start she immediatly needed to know all the details. The unfortunate thing for us is that Honda probably won't import them to Australia as the market is too smal.l

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
ozspode, I agree with your take, I am looking into this bike for my wife also.

Kevin

RedRyder

Mar 29, 2001
What's wrong with a rear drum? You don't hear about them hitting rocks and getting bent out of shape do you? If it's fading a bit, turn the wing nut a few times and you're back in business. I think it's more beginner friendly than discs; i.e. no bleeding them or flushing the fluid.
Don't serious riders use the front brake for most of the braking power anyways? Besides, a drum weighs less (I would think). It would seem that in the race for a lighter motocrosser, factories would develop a stronger, more sealed rear drum.
Anyhoo... back to the CRF230. I think XR230 is a more fitting moniker, but it really doesn't matter. If it's named that to get kids to take notice of it and sell more bikes, I don't think the kids will be disappointed in it. Heck I'd like to have one (minus the electric start- I can "arm start" my 200 already, thank you very much). The only things I would like to see changed are: add lights and a tool bag.

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
I've had several bikes with drum brakes. I got tired of taking the wheel off after every ride to clean them, having the brakes fade, get hot or lock up unpredictably during a ride, and having weak stopping power.

I worship my disc brakes. :)

DualSportr

Aug 22, 2000
I think these are a great upgrade to the XR100 and XR 200, but it's definitely stupid to call them CRF. You don't see Yamaha touting the TTR line as YZF's!

Drum brakes are okay. I dealt with them for years on the old XR200, but the ability of disks to react exactly the same way in every possible condition makes me realize that it's the drum brakes which are less user-friendly. Disks rule.

However, price is a factor, and I'm sure Honda made the brake decision based on cost. If they price the 150 and 230 much higher than the (blue) competition, they'll lose sales.

Anyway, since I work for an aftermarket performance company, I should be happy with the new models. Since the less the manufacturers do right, the more money WE can make! Haha, it's all a plot!:debil:

Jay-R, you crack me up!!!! Are you sure your dollar estimates aren't a bit too high?? ha!

cr250john

Jun 14, 2000
Originally posted by woods_rider1
its too bad that they are being touted as CRF's when in reality they will be little more than cosmetically updated XR's...

I'm really disappointed that Honda didn't make the 230 as a competitor to the YZ250F. I'll be in the market for my 14 (soon to be 15) year old son moving up from a Honda CR80 to a 2-stroke 125 or possibly a YZ250F.
I think Honda missed the mark on this one. :mad:

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
the 230f is really a deadicated trails bike, lighter than the xr. Honda will be coming out with a crf250 mx bike - just wait and see....

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
Originally posted by dell30rb
the 230f is really a deadicated trails bike, lighter than the xr. Honda will be coming out with a crf250 mx bike - just wait and see....

And you got this info from where?

yz250-effer

Nov 4, 2000
Originally posted by RedRyder
What's wrong with a rear drum? If it's fading a bit, turn the wing nut a few times and you're back in business.Besides, a drum weighs less (I would think). It would seem that in the race for a lighter motocrosser, factories would develop a stronger, more sealed rear drum.

I applaud your defense of the rear drum, but . . .IMO , serious stopping power does not come a rear drum system. They are not lighter ( as far as I know) - you need your shoes and larger pads inside the drum, and the drum adds significant weight to the rear hub. The big downfall is when mud or water get in a drum brake system. And you can't seal it - you have to let the heat out and any other grit that will always sneak into a sealed system. Yes, the 230 will be a marketing ploy that serious riders will not fall for, so I could really care less what they call it? If it gets more people into the sport, that is a good thing.;)

Top Bottom