Any Running tips?? 5K race in 1 1/2 weeks

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Does anyone have any race/running tips for me? I will be running in a 5K race on the 1st of March. I have been running 25 minutes at 6.5mph for a few weeks now on a tread mill. I have it on a 1% incline. I am doing this M W and F, on Tues/Thurs I run 7.4mph for 10 minutes to change things up a little.

I plan on not training the Friday before the race and going a little light on Thursday. I also plan on eating a banana and a granola bar along with some Gatoraid about an hour before the race.

I ran in this race last year and did it in 27:10 but I want to finish better this year. Is there anything else I need to know?

Jeepboy

Oct 25, 2000
Try to run negative splits, or at least even splits. It's hard to start out slow, but you'll see alot of people start fast and then just die half way through. Also, make sure you are stretching, especially your iliotibial band. I never stretched mine and now have hip bursitis and it has been rough not being able to go running. Good luck and have fun.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by Jeepboy
Try to run negative splits, or at least even splits.
:confused: Ahh, Don't mean to sound stupid, but, what does running a negative split mean?? I have totally no idea what you are talking about. I ran kind of quick at the beginning and died out towards the end myself last year. I ended up having to walk three times for about 20 feet each time just to catch my breath. I am training much harder this year though.
Originally posted by Jeepboy
Also, make sure you are stretching, especially your iliotibial band.
What/where is my ililtibal band, and how do I stretch it? As a matter of fact my calves did tighten up a good bit last year and caused me to walk a little during the race.

Jeepboy

Oct 25, 2000
A split would be your time for each mile or 1k. Most 5k races have the miles marked on the course so I usually wear a stopwatch and hit the lap button at each mile. Running a negative split means that you increase your speed for each mile ran (start slow and pick up speed throughout the race). The iliotibial band is the muscles on the outside of your thigh. They connect to your knee and hip. If it is tight it can cause knee pain or cause hip bursitis (inflamation of the hip bursa).

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
They actually do (last year they did) have timers out at each mile mark. So I guess you are saying to say, when passing the first mile mark with the time showing....9:00, then the second showing 17:30, then the third showing 25:30. So each subsequent mile would be run 30 seconds faster.... Right?

Also, what do you think about my banana, granola, Gatoraid eating the morning of the race?

Jeepboy

Oct 25, 2000
yeah..thats a negative split....the result is that you finish the race strong and not about to die. As for eating the morning of a race, I'd recommend eating whatever sits well on your stomach while running. I usually try to eat a good big breakfast 2-3 hrs before the race. Just make sure you drink plenty of water.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Thanks Dave!

Jeep, I think that stuff should sit well in my stomach. I was supposed to run this morning, but I couldn't because I got two blisters on my right foot. :eek: . I read on a Sports medicine site to wash them with alcohol and then pierce them but not remove the skin. I have done this and intend to run 25 minutes tomorrow morning with TWO pairs of socks on. I am pretty sure that the extra layer on my foot should help.

Jeepboy

Oct 25, 2000
Mike, The general rule of thumb for running shoes is one size larger than your normal everyday athletic shoes. I learned this the hard way by bruising my toenail so bad it was black for months. If blisters are a problem, try putting some vaseline on your feet where you get blisters. It sounds nasty, but you won't notice its there while running and it really works.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I intend on cutting my toe nails short so I don't have the problem and will try the vaseline idea. Thanks!

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
my wife is constantly getting blisters while playing soccer. im gonna have her try the vaseline.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Well, I did it! I completed one of my goals and that was to run the entire race with a total time of 27:41 and did not stop to walk at all. I got tied up in major traffic and actually finished 21 seconds slower than last year. Without the traffic, I think I could have done about a minute faster. I with the training I did actually felt better at the end this time then last time so I guess something was better. I ended up wearing two pairs of socks instead of the vasaline on my feet and the socks did stop any blisters from forming.

All in all a good experience. Thanks for everyone's advice!

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Thanks guys. Dave, I think you might need a louder horn! ;)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom