KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
My brother is looking to get a bike. He weighs 240lbs and is leaning towards a 4stroke. He doesn't want to spend the cash for a yz, ktm or crf since he is inexperienced and probably never will be a real good rider anyways. If anyone has any experience with these bikes please throw in your 2 cents worth. Some differences I noticed were, DRZ400 has electric start but cost 200 bucks for a kick start kit or you can get the model with kick only like the klx. I don't think it would be a good idea to have electric only. The klx looks much cooler than the yellow DRZ. I haven't ridden either of these so was just looking for some feedback as to how they handle and feel. Keep in mind that he will never race but just have casual fun cruising around on the trails.

Kazoo

Jul 22, 2002
My riding buddy had a klx and traded up to a new drz400 last fall. Ive ridden both bikes. The klx was anemic (compared to my kdx) and a pain to start after stalling or spilling on the trail. It handled nicely though. The drz handles nicely also, but has more power, e-start and is a more plush ride. The front will soak up anything. But you certainly wouldn't want to have to pick it up too many times -- pretty heavy.

Since he's inexperienced and is just into casual trail riding (ie. no aggressive woods or dunes) I would steer him towards the drz. IMO the e-start is a prerequisite for today's trail 4-strokes. The 400 will handle his weight better too.

KTA

Jul 14, 2000
he will really appriciate the electric start (although a kick start backup is a good idea). i would recommend the drz over the klx simply because the bike puts out a few more horsepower, and your brother weighing in at 240lbs will probably want it.. ..another good choice you might look into is the honda xr400, i have heard numerous good stories about them and have been told they are one of the best trail bikes around (for the average rider). . . good luck

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
I know you said he wants a 4stroke but if he is just trail riding at a beginners level then you should let him know that the KLX400 is 40lbs heavier and $1500.00 more expensive than a KDX. Seems like a huge sacrifice just to avoid premix.

EBOD

Nov 1, 2001
I thought the new KLX 400 was the exact same thing as the DRZ, except with green plastic. If that's the case, how does the DRZ put out a few more horespower?

Also, comparasons with the KLX 300 don't matter. The 400 is a totally different bike.

Note that Cycle World did a six bike enduro shoot out last year. They said some really good stuff about the DRZ. They said it was the best non-racing bike.

Simon Fuller

May 17, 2001
The new KLX400 has just been released here in NZ and from magazine reports it is just a green DRZ. We can still buy new KLX 300 also.

The DRZ is well thought of for trail riding and with a few mods can be made pretty competitive (won its class in the national enduro series and cross country too).

From what I've read the engine provides smooth tractible power from top to bottom, which is great in marginal traction. The suspension is a little on the soft side. They are damned heavy though!

Do you get the fuel injected Gas Gas 400 in the US. They look cool and lightest in their class.

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
From what I've heard the 2003 drz and klx are the same bike too. He found a 2001 drz400 new at a dealer for $4600 with electric start. The only thing I worry about is having no kick start for backup on the trail. They sell a kit for 200 buck to ad a kickstarter to it and the dealer will install it for free to get rid of the bike.

Thanks for the responses. It looks like the drz would probably be a good bike for him other than the weight factor but everything else seems good. Oh yea, he likes the drz because Suzuki will give him 4.9% financing for up to five years. :eek:

Last edited:

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I have ridden both bikes. KLX 300 stock and very modified, and DRZ 400 mostly stock. For a casual trail rider, both bikes are really quite good - better than an XR4, IMO.

FWIW, the kickstart only DRZ is a super easy starter 99% of the time - cheaper and lighter than the electric start. Comparing stock to stock, the DRZ has a substantial power advantage over the KLX 300. The DRZ really doesn't feel as heavy as it is except under hard braking or very tight conditons.

A big bore (331cc) KLX300 with suspension mods is a really fun bike on the trail, with a very wide range of usable power. Excellent handling and light for a 4 stroke. But it's true, the modified KLX can be very hard to start if you drop it, and the stock KLX 300 is just a little too soft in the power department. The KLX pegs are also pretty low - sometimes this is annoying.

Unless you have the time and $$ to do the KLX mods, the DRZ is better, IMO.

At 240 pounds, your brother will want stiffer springs for either bike, even if he is slow.

After dialing in a DRZ or KLX, a good rider will have no trouble keeping up with an average rider on a CRF or YZF. For the average trail rider, the DRZ or KLX are excellent bikes, but the KLX needs a little more attention to get the most out of it.

KTA

Jul 14, 2000
when i metioned that the drz had a few more horsepower than the klx i was referring to the klx 300. . . sorry for the confusion...

WoWman

Jun 23, 2002
I have a DRZ400E, 2001 with a few mods like pipe, jetted, needle, cams on the way, and few more things for power.

I had it dynoed at a bike show and it spat out 44.7 hp, and it truly has a wide powerband. Idle-rev limiter it will roost pretty hard. For trails (what I mostly ride) the suspension is awesome, it soaks up all the little stuff sooooo good, don't even feel roots. For big whoops and jumps though, I'll need springs and maybe re-valve. I am 240lbs and 6/1.

I have ridden my buds KLX300 a few times, and it is a fun bike. But I need the power and better ground clearance and whatnot.

BTW, I got my 01 last april for 4900 after all the fees too. I don't know how much a new KDX goes for??? but it feels light too. :)

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Mac said:
I know you said he wants a 4stroke but if he is just trail riding at a beginners level then you should let him know that the KLX400 is 40lbs heavier and $1500.00 more expensive than a KDX. Seems like a huge sacrifice just to avoid premix.

40 lbs? Thats nothing!

My DR outweighs my KDX by 100 lbs! :yikes:

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
That DRZ400 is tough to beat. Make it do double duty and get the one that can be licensed for the street as well. Then he can ride to the trailhead and not have to trailer every time he wants to go for a spin.
I had a DR650. An easy bike to work on and to start. Kick start was a breeze and never even thought about needing an electric start but I sure wouldn't turn it down if there was one on the bike already.

Top Bottom