Any updated ride reports on the '02 YZ250?

smarttoys

Sponsoring Member
Apr 29, 2001
'02 YZ250 updated ride reports

Now that some of you have had the '02 YZ250 for a couple weeks, what do you think of it? Motor, suspension.

Last edited:

smarttoys

Sponsoring Member
Apr 29, 2001
I have a couple of rides on mine now and really like the motor. The suspension is decent but it's a little harsh on the small stuff and bottoms too easily. Most likely due to my 205 pounds. The seat is too low for me, I feel cramped on the bike (6' 2"). I was hoping the layout would be more roomy this year. These things can be fixed with a little set up and personalizing. Overall I like the bike and felt confident on it quickly.

The transition from my '00 CR250 was a little difficult at first though.

Last edited:

U2leight

Nov 25, 2000
I like it a lot! It took me a little getting used to coming from 01 Cr w/no bottom end but I like it now. The motor revs very quick. At 188 lbs I love the suspension better than the Honda. I am having trouble keeping it in tight corner ruts, but I know that is a setup issue and I am getting it closer. I have Pro tapers and triple clamp from 01 on mine and it is not cramped at all for me, but I am 5'10".
Now with that said, I went and sat on an 02 CR yesterday and it feels like 01 on a serious diet!! Decisions, Decisions!!!!!!!!!:scream:

smarttoys

Sponsoring Member
Apr 29, 2001
I am using stock jetting and it is working well for my area. Approximately 1500 above sea level. I may play with it a little later but for now it's working well, especially since the weather is cooler. The gearing is good for MX, I don't ride trails.

U2leight

Nov 25, 2000
I am at 1800 ft and about 100 degrees and going to try some trails tomorrow for first time in a long time. I dropped the needle one notch, to last clip just to see if it will clean the mid range up a bit (doesn't need much). We'll see how it works on trails.

BermBuster

Apr 17, 2001
Smarttoys and U2Leight .....

I also have a '00 CR250.

Is there any particular reason you switched? How about a quick comparison (motor, handling, suspension).

Thanks for the input Smarttoys.

Oh, and U2Leight ..... you da' man! Maybe I can convince my wife to let me buy another bike for woods riding. ONE BIKE IS NOT ENOUGH !:cool:

smarttoys

Sponsoring Member
Apr 29, 2001
They main reason I switched was to try something different for awhile and I got a great deal on the Yamaha. I definately like the YZ motor better. It seems to have power everywhere. I like the stock suspension on the YZ better than the Race Tech modified suspension on my '00 CR. Both bikes handle well but I did get more head shake from the CR.

Last edited:

FJP467

Nov 26, 2000
Picked up my '02 YZ-250 today. I got it prepped and ready to go out tomorrow. After some baby time to break her in right, I plan on putting the bike through a good test. I hope to be posting my initial thoughts tomorrow. I have been reading in the "Mags" that the 02 YZ is more rigid than prior years. I would guess that a more rigid bike will turn better but you might be giving up some stability. What are you guys experiencing? How about the sag? I have read 98mm to 105mm. Does anyone have any suggestions?

U2leight

Nov 25, 2000
Berm Buster, You have to search long and hard to find a wife that understands you need a trail bike and a motocross bike. I explained to her how dangerous it could be to take a full blown race machine into the desert at very high speeds when it wasn't made for that purpose! I could get hurt and not be around for our new baby girl due on Christmas eve, so she agreed it was the right thing to do.:cool:
Back to the topic: I switched to Yamaha only because it was available at the time for a good deal. Now Cr's are out and I am trying to decide what color to ride. I rode an 02 CR yesterday but only a short blast around the track, not a fair comparison. If I based it on that 1 lap I would keep the Yamaha. I like the suspension and power of the Yamaha but the Honda feels like a Honda should and is very light, just need a pipe or something to get some low end power. Watch my signature and see what color I end up!:o :)

Top Bottom