Anybody use a Steering Stabilizer?

kdxluver

Feb 22, 2004
I was wondering if anybody uses a steering damper. My front end is not very stable and was curious if it would help in the rutty rocky single track I ride in? Bike is 04 220 with XR fork springs.
Thanks,
Randy

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
You bet Randy. I love my WER. There are many posts on DRN about stabilizers. If you use the search feature and key on words like the brand names of stabilizers you will be amazed at all the posts out there. Good luck desiding which brand is best and for God's sake don't ask. Too many opinions already posted and you should read through those first. Let us know which one you desided on and why you went with it.
And congrats on a new KDX220. I love mine and you will too.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Every bike needs 3 things:

1) The jetting dialed in.
2) The suspension dialed in
3) A steering damper (doesn't matter what brand - just get one!)

Everything else is optional.

Henk

Apr 15, 2000
Dampers are wonderful things. Between the wife and I we have a Scott an Ohlins and a WER. It only has to keep you out of hospital once to pay for itself and ours have all saved my butt on several ocasions. Even when they don't save you from a major spill they let you hit things harder and take lines over roots and rocks that would be marginal at best otherwise. Don't think about it, just get one.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
I always wondered if I'd be able to notice the difference between no damper and with one, but that all changed after the first 10 seconds riding 'Carvr's bike!

Wow was I amazed! Barely had to hold onto the bars, I want one bad now!

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
Yep, I have a Scotts. Like everyone's saying, it's one of the best performance mods you can buy. The easier and more precisely you can steer, the faster you'll be able to go.

Best,
Greg

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
I'm curious, whats involved with moving a steering damper between bikes? I've kinda tossed around the idea of getting one but i'm worried about not being able to move it to another bike later if I want. Is there an adapter kit that you use to bolt the damper to the bike?

-Maurice

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
What are the options for new 95+ KDX's? Bottom line - what is the ballpark price for each for the setup? I know they all differ moderatly in adjustability/capabilites - but for me - any will work.

Sean

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
Cost is a hard pill to swallow.... bout $400 for a Scotts plus mounting kit. Some guy on eBay had a good price for one with everything for about the same price, I can't find it now though....

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
Morie,

Yep, you can move the Scotts and the GPR. You'll have to buy a new mounting kit of it's a different model. WERs can be moved too, I believe but I didn't do too much research into them.

With the Scotts, you have two basic choices - ~$425 for one that uses the stock triple clamp and 7/8" bars or ~$600 for a new top clamp for use with 1 1/8" bars which will include the bar. They do not offer a kit with a barclamp and replacement 1 1/8" perches. GPR does have kits for both 7/8" and 1 1/8" bars without having to buy a new top clamp. The GPRs did cost about $300 - $350. WERs were about $400 if I remember right.

I bought mine off of a guy that had specials on EBay - all american racing or something similar. They usually sell roadrace dampers but will special order dirtbike gear. It was enough of a price break that I basically got the Scotts Renthal bar free.

Cicone: the Scotts should mount on yours. I remember there being mounting instructions for your year.

Best,
Greg

bcVulcan

Nov 13, 2002
I installed a GPR this week. I like it because it is simple and easy to adjust. Just like everyone else I've known who tried a damper, I'll never go back.

Brad

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
dirt bike dave said:
Every bike needs 3 things:

1) The jetting dialed in.
2) The suspension dialed in
3) A steering damper (doesn't matter what brand - just get one!)

Everything else is optional.

Words to live by in the world of KDX's
I had the WER on my 96 KDX. I think it is a great bang for the buck.

RAH RAH

Aug 30, 2003
I think of a stabilizer before I think of a helmet. they are literally that good of insurance!! I would also add comfort too that list of things to do so get some handbars with your dampner and change the position to over the forks. thats a definite benefit when the mode does turn to race. Once you get whatever one, you will agree that its the best mod you can make for the very knarlly. They work more often than barkbusters do!!
all I can say now is enjoy...

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
Geesh... now I gotta buy one of THOSE now.... gee thanks guys! Actually I was going to anyway but hard to bite the bullet on the 4-bones it's gonna run!

89kdx200rdr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 19, 2003
my scotts shipped today. you have to use stock upper, 7/8 bars ( they said the cr-hi's i have will help) and use the universal mount. bolt on is 399.00. should be the same for 89-94

kdxluver

Feb 22, 2004
Steering Stabilizer

Well thank you for all of the input. I am now sold on a stabilizer. I have not read or heard one bad thing about them, so tomorrow I am going to order one. :yeehaw: Probably a GPR because I like their adjuster. Once again thank you all for coming through. :worship:
Randy

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
89kdx200rdr said:
my scotts shipped today. you have to use stock upper, 7/8 bars ( they said the cr-hi's i have will help) and use the universal mount. bolt on is 399.00. should be the same for 89-94
You are going to love the dampner 89kdx200rdr. The hardest part of owning one was testing it. It takes a little courage to aim for a root or rock that you KNOW will throw you just to see if that thing works, but once your mind and muscles start trusting the dampner, you will choose some sick lines for passing or just for fun because now you can. It will also reduce or eliminate arm pump since you don't need to grip as tight. The photo I posted shows the Scotts with fat bars. It is a custom made mount just for the Scott dampner. It includes the bark busters as well. Look on eBay for them @ less than $100.
Just in case anyone out there wants to run a Scotts and use fatbars.

Bizerk

Feb 28, 2004
Hey guys ...I have a 2000 KDX 200. How hard is it to install the WER stabilizer? I noticed on their site that some of them require welding. Does anyone know if there is any welding for this WER stabilizer kit for this bike or is it simple bolt-on?

Thanks in advance.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
WERs bolt on.

You could weld up a link connection if you wished. Don't know why anyone would bother. It could be done to look better than the bolt on set-up.

Everyone has their point of view..even me!! I've ridden with both the WER and the Scotts. The latter outperforms the former hands down.

Quite a few WER users have a problem with their damper being different in damping action depending on direction of deflection. I'm one of 'em. I'm saying they don't work the same L-R as they do R-L. Repeated contacts with WER gets only responses like, "Some cable must be in the way."

They would be wrong about that.

Some have had theirs rebuilt BY WER only to have them come back in the same condition.

Additionally, the WER will not sufficiently damp..even with 15w oil in it. Yep! I know all about the 'speed sensitive' part...that, 'If you can feel it, it's too tight!', and '95% of the pros use 5W oil.'

'They' (whoever 'they' are) can ride their bikes setup however they like. My opinion comes from using both dampers, set to a variety of damping characteristics. The WER doesn't cut it.

I'm not saying it doesn't work at ALL...just not as well as the Scotts.

Maybe you get what you pay for?

fwiw

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Bizerk - check out WER's home page, www.werproducts.net

You can use a bracket supplied with the kit to attach the damper's arm to the frame. The bracket is a big bulky black thing. There is a picture of it in the 'manual' pdf file on the WER page. No welding required but you have to drill a hole through your frame for a bolt to hold the bracket in place.

The alternative is to weld a small triangular tab to the frame, which you can than paint the frame color.

On my KDX200, I used the brakcet, and on my KDX250, my buddy welded the tab for me. IMO, the welded tab is a cleaner, lighter, more attractive installation. Both welded tab or bolt on bracket work fine.

I had the WER on two KDXs and now have a Scotts on my CRE. IMO, both worked extremely well. Never tried 15w in my WER, but tried 5w, 7.5w, hydraulic shock oil (approx 8w) and 10w. There was a noticeable difference in damping between oils. With heavy oil, I preferred to run the adjuster 2 turns out, which gave about the same effect as 1 turn out with lighter oil.

FWIW, I know many riders with WER dampers, including 'A' riders who have used them for 10+ years. I have never heard the complaints that cc has about the device. Mine worked flawlessly.

BTW, slight differences in how the damper works side to side 'off the bike' when worked by hand or when the bike is 'on the stand' may not be apparent on the trail.

Overall, I prefer the Scotts for the 'adjust on the fly' feature, but as far as performance I would be very hard pressed to tell the difference when both are adjusted to my satisfaction. Many riders 'set and forget' their dampers, also. My opinions are based on approx. 5 years with WER and 3.5 years with a Scotts.

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
I'm making the switch from WER to Scotts or GPR. They tell me at Scotts and GPR that I DO have to have a new top triple clamp to use with ProTaper bars. I never noticed but the stock KDX triple clamp is tilted backwards slightly where perch is bolted causing the stablilzer post unable to line up correctly. Ahhh....nothing is never easy huh? Anybody have the Scotts setup with their triple clamp? If so............did the cable guides and all that mount up ok? How about the solid mount instead of the rubber perches? Any noticeable vibration using this solid setup?

Bizerk

Feb 28, 2004
Thanks for all the great info guys!
Like you have mentioned, everyone has their own opinions to which one to get. The WER is more affordable it seems but... not sure which way to go at this point.

Will the Scotts damper work with the stock parts of the KDX200?

Is the Scotts also a simple bolt on kit? (don't want to weld)

What is the cost for the Scotts?

When it comes to spending that much money I need to do all of my research and hear all the great info you guys have!

Thanks a bunch :thumb:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom