Anybody use a Steering Stabilizer?

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
Bizerk, I'm also in the market for a stabilizer for my '03 200. I read in a review somewhere (Rev?) that while the Scotts and WER are both outstanding products, the WER is better in tight, rocky terrain and the Scotts is better in wide open desert type of terrain.

I rode with a buddy ('95 KDX 200) back in Feb and he had a WER on his bike; I had no stabilizer on mine. I absolutely couldn't believe the difference in steering; within 30 seconds of riding I noticed that the front end on his bike felt very tight and in control. When I got back on my bike I realized how hard I'm actually working to steer it!

I've gotta get one of those things...

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Scotts says that (well, used to a couple years back) mounting their unit on bushed bars is likely trouble. Uh...the kdx has bushings in the bar mounts.

Consider that the wheel deflection force has to go thru those mounts before damping takes place.

As far as mounting goes...I'd prefer to put the scotts where the wer usually goes. On top of the front fender.

Re: vibration

I used some high durometer bushings in place of the smushy oem pieces...for a ride. Took them out immediately afterward. If I want that much vibration I'll ride a pumpkin.

re: what do they cost?

Uh...a bit of research...like reading this thread would get you answers to that question.

re: simple bolt-on?

Sure. Take off your top clamp. Position the bolt-on stem over the frame tube. You may have to remove some weld bead to get it to seat correctly. Reassemble with the suppled (trim it to fit) bearing shield. Bolt the scotts to the supplied top clamp.

You're done.

Well...I might have left out a teensy weensy bit...... ;)

Attachments

• scotts.jpg
    scotts.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 117

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
Bizerk, yep, either call or look at the website, www.scottsperformance.com. Your 2000 is the same as my '03. You can do the bolt-on post (or weld-on if you'd like) and either the stock triple clamp with their bar clamp and 7/8" bars or their top clamp, bar clamp, and oversize bars. I opted for the stock triple clamp and ordered their bushings and a Renthal CR-hi with a curved crossbar.

Best,
Greg

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom