XtremeAir125

Jul 5, 2001
I'm just curious if anyone has ever tried JB Weld to fix holes on there bikes or ****s. I recently purchased an 86 TRX200SX for $50 ( I know this is a dirtbike forum, so please bear with me) and it had a hole in the case from where the chain snapped. I heard JB Weld is the way to go. But I'm curious on how to apply it. The hole is a about 2" from top to bottom, and about 3" from side-to-side. How should I apply it without having it fall in the case? Thanks!

Hogwylde

Aug 1, 2001
JB Weld is good stuff. thing is though, it cant do everything. if you have a hole 2inches by 3 inches.......it wont work for that unless you have the piece of metal that came out of there. it's great for patching small stuff, but it wont make a large, flat patch like that. if you had a corner busted offa something or a crack to stuff it in....or something like the oil drain plug area cracked and busted, THAT'S what it's great for. it needs to be able to have large surface areas to cling to and relatively thick layer too. spread it too thin and only holding at the edges...and you are asking for trouble.

your best bet for what you have described is to find a piece of thin aluminum plate and have it heli-arced (welded) over the hole.

Wanabe

Feb 6, 2001
Last summer I broke my case right next to the countersaft seal. My friends dad made some frings to get the right shape for the seal then used some stuff called Devcon. He said it is some kind of industrial stuff and is a lot better than JB weld. so far it has held and it would have to be pretty good to hold along the countersaft seal.

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I agree I don't think the JB weld will work it might actually be too weak. I only used it to fix a hair line crack in the cases of my 86 CR. The previous owner used it on the inside of the case in the water jacket/pump area and it just eventually started cracking and flaking. I don't think it will hold up in the long run.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
I've used the 2 part putty JB to fix my kids CT 70 chain guard. The resultant "patch" is about 1/2 the length of the guard (maybe 4-5 inches) and incoporates 3 mounting holes ( milled off the flats at work). It seems to be holding but I'm not sure of using it in direct oil contact.

Kevin

sirhk100

Feb 8, 2001
I once packed a hole that I stripped on my Jeeps hubs with JB Weld, let it cure, then drilled and tapped it. Put the bolt in and torqued it to 80 'lbs. Awesome stuff!!!

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
I have used JB-weld on my my dirtbike motors before. Theres currently some on my CR ( ignition side near ignition wires ). I think it works great. Don't ever use this stuff called JB-Quik it claims to be as strong as JB-Weld and dries in 5 minutes but I tried using it on my dad's 125PSI nail gun ( small hole near handle ) and the JB-Quik just bubbled and leaked. Put some JB-Weld on it let it sit over night and it worked great and still been sealing for over 5 months now.

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
You might be better off asking "Who here has NOT tried JB Weld?"!!!!

The stuff is great. I have used it in the past to repair a punctured radiator as well as for numerous tasks around the house.

Despite the greatnes of JB Weld, the repair you are looking to fix is most likely too severe for a JB Weld patch job IMO...

-jeffd

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Mo-dirt-AR,
DO NOT try that on an air tank. No ifs ands or buts about it, do NOT do it.
You are messing with serious trouble my friend.
If you must repair it, take it to a reputable tank builder and see what they say.

lol..."JB shrapnel" !

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom