anyone try a IMS or Clarke tank on 02/03 cr250?

susan

Nov 16, 2001
can anyone comment on the fit and finish of a clarke versus IMS oversize tank for the 02/03 CR250.

Some previous IMS tanks I have seen pushed the front of the seat up a lot. I want more range without wrecking the ergos and seat position too much.

Appreciate your help!

hoov165x

May 31, 2002
I set up a friends '02 CR250 for off road. I used a Clarke tank and it kept the seating position relatively flat; it wasn't objectional in that respect. The one area of concern was the width at the front of the tank- it pushed the front of the shrouds wider by about 2+ inches. This on a machine that is already too wide in that area. Unless you are a mxer and turn sitting on the gas cap you probably wont be too offended by it. The area by the seat isn't much wider than stock. As far as IMS goes, their product quality isn't even close to Clarke's. Also the IMS tank has more of a rise at the front of the seat; I'm not sure about the width though. Hope this helps!

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
I have a Clark on my 01YZ250 and the only complaint I have with it is that it did change the seat/tank junction.(I like to get up on the tank in turns) I'm hoping that some tall seat foam will help level it back out.

John

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
I have ridden an '02 with an IMS and aboout all I noticed is that if you slide WAY forwatd, ti feels a little awkward. Might be as much of a psychological barrier as anything. Looks a lot more different than it feels.

jho410

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2002
I have the Clarke 3.2g on my 02 CR250. I noticed a very slight difference in the width when I climbed way foward but only the very first time I sat on the bike after the change. It is not noticeable at all once you ride it for 5 minutes. Why pay IMS prices when you can buy a quality product for less?

BuggyDaker

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2001
i have the ims 3.4. actually the dennis kirk catalog said 3.2 but the packaging said 3.4. so i don't know. i like the tank. fit perfect, looks good. don't notice it at all. but, if the clarke fits as well, go with the clarke to save dinero.

bug

osheen

Feb 27, 2000
For what it's worth........

I had a Clarke on my YZ250F and it fit really well and was pleased with the fit and finish. I just bought a 03 YZ250 and for some stupid reason I ordered an IMS tank for it. Alot of it was because most of the off-road big names use them and their's seemed to fit good (they must dig through the inventory until they find one that actually fits). Anyway, it shows up and the blue color looked like hell. It wasn't even close, it was a putrid pastel drab looking blue. I then put it on the bike and the radiator shrouds bowed way out and I wasn't about to live with it that way. My knees would have dug right into them. It was real bulbous shaped too. In disgust, I then had my dealer return the IMS and get me a Clarke. What a difference. The blue was exact and is a little translucent (you can see the gas in it). The shrouds fit WAY better. It's not exactly perfect but it is far and away better than the IMS in every way. To top it off the Clarke is much less money too.
Don't know how much this would pertain to a Honda but you might see a trend.

jib

Jan 23, 2000
A friend that I race with has both the ims and the clarke 3.2 tanks for his 02 cr. The only one he'll race with is the ims. The quality was the same for both tanks, but the clarke tank is just wider. By over an inch right where your knees grip when seated.

I have a clarke 3.2 tank on my 01 cr, and I have no problem with it's quality or width

hoov165x

May 31, 2002
OK, let's talk about IMS quality! 1) IMS CR 500 foot pegs: I had to grind the heck out of them to get them to fit. 2) '01 KTM 520SX: IMS tank- inserts in tank for radiator shrouds did not even come close to lining up, allowing only two bolts to be used. 3) IMS '97 RM250 tank: Poor fit. 4) IMS '98 KX250 tank: Poor fit and really bad retaining system. This is my experience w/ IMS. If you look at the gas tanks you will see that Clarke's method of rotational molding is far superior in terms of finish.
Mike

susan

Nov 16, 2001
thanks for all the comments, ride red, did you have to lift the IMS tank to change a plug like the clarke tank? also does the IMS tank bend the front of the seat up, making it harder to get forward for turns?

Thanks!

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
I have a Cycra tank on my yz that fits and works well. The seat junction changed just a tad, and the extra .7 gallon capacity was incorporated well (it holds it lower and more forward). Changing the spark plug isnt much harder and can be peformed with a standard plug wrench without removing anything off of the bike. I think that the retail is reasonable on the Cycra tanks.

ride_red_15

Uhhh...
Oct 14, 2001
Susan- yes i do have to lift the tank. I dont notice too much change in the seat bend, #1 because i stand up alot more than i sit down and #2 i have .5" raised seat foam

Top Bottom