Anyone use a Kidney Belt or Elbow pads? how neccesary are they???

dnchevyman

Dec 27, 2005
I know more safetey gear is better. But i was wondering if anyone else uses a kidney belt or elbow pads? how neccesary are they and do you think they are worth the money? I will be riding in the desert here in nevada and sand dunes in california. should i spend my money on them or not?
I got knee/shin pads today, dunno why they include the shin pad since your boots already cover you shin and are made of hard plastic. Also, what good do chest protectors do?

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
I ride mostly motocross, so for me a kidney belt is a must. It drastically cuts down on the jostling of your insides and a good one even provides some additional support for your lower back and abdominals. I wear the same gear regardless of whether I ride trails or the track. I never ride without my Kidney Belt and Chest protector. Chest protectors serve several purposes including 1) roost deflector from rocks, dirt, and general earth spray from other riders in front of you 2) impact protection and 3) body armor when flying through the woods. While some may argue that most chest protectors are just a thin plastic shell, I feel that they serve their purpose and the additional protection is important. I have taken numerous falls in which I feel the chest protector has saved me some unnecessary pain and injury not to mention it works great to deflect branches and such when riding in tight woods and single track trails. One serious fall in particular I landed square on my chest and face and was unable to brace my fall it happened so fast, I feeI that my chest protector saved my sternum from serious injury and the doctor agreed. In my opinion a kidney belt and chest protector are worth every penny and are just as important a piece of gear as your boots and helmet.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
i leave off some gear for the dunes , but im not there to rip around i basically use my bike to see the sights. for everything else i have to say get every piece of equipment you can afford. i dont own a piece of gear that hasnt saved me a week off work at the very least. knee guards with the shin piece built in are to slip into your boot and stay secure. the other kind either bunch up right behind the knee and rub you raw or slide down. not to mention when youre sliding into third base they end up sliding right off

c&b745XX

~SPONSOR~
Nov 26, 2001
If you plan on getting it on , a kidney belt is very nessesary . Chest protector , well if you ride behind a 450 it's a must . If you look at my old one you would say that it does more , my shoulder plates on both sides are cracked ?. I wear Knee braces just for insurance . Good luck .

stevet

Jan 11, 2005
does it really matter if you wear your elbow pads on the outside or inside your jersey?....just curious because I see guys/gals do both....i guess its just personal preference?

tyesai

Nov 4, 2004
I ususally ride with my 661 pressure suit. I do have a regular chest protector though and elbow pads. Maybe it is just because I am getting old but if I ride without my 661 and just use my regular chest protector I can feel it the next day. The kidney belt really helps hold the old mans guts in place. :laugh:

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I am thinking about upgrading to the pressure suit, looks like real good protection. In the meantime, I am seriously considering the kidney belt, because after a good day of riding, I seem to have a mildly sore back. As far as elbow pads, I wear them inside the jersey for asthetic reasons. My son wears his outside, but he also wears a hard plastic chest protector that has to go on before the elbow pads. I wear the quadrant roost protector under my jersey, but I'm only a recreational rider. I am certain that my boys chest protector has saved him guts a few times. Most recently 8 days ago when he came down across the bars with his abs.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
SixSixOne makes the SixSixOne Pressure Suit. ;)

As for elbow pads, I like them. Mainly because I fall off too much. But I found regular elbow pads to slide down constantly, which the Pressure Suit solved quite nicely.

rosscopeeko

Feb 25, 2005
I just ordered a 661 pro pressure suit and should have it an a week. You'll get your kidney protection, elbow/forearm protection, chest, shoulder all in one. If you're looking at getting the elbow and kidney protection it might be an option. I definitely like riding with a kidney belt too. Holds everything in the abdominal cavity where it should be.

YamaB

Apr 2, 2004
I'm using a pressure suit this year... Seems to offer really good upper body protection as it has hard armor for elbows, shoulders, chest, and back, and also comes with an attached kidney belt... I wear it under my jersey and it just feels less bulky than my traditional roost defectlor... Haven't tried it in hot weather riding yet, although I don't see how it will be any worse than normal armor...

RMCoastie

~SPONSOR~
Oct 25, 2005
If it weren't for my chest protector I would look like a cheese grater had went over me and would have some broken ribs both front and back!

Top Bottom