Anyone use a "ReadyRamp" with a Pickup Truck?

EdLennon

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2000
Hi all,

I just came across this product called a ReadyRamp. I found it at www.readyramp.com.

I was getting ready to ordera bed extender, but this looks lto be more functional.

Just wondering if anyone has one and if they like it?

Thanks,
Ed Lennon

EdLennon

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2000
Just to keep you all up to date, I ordered one yesterday. I'll update my post when I get it and let you all know what I think about it.

Ed

HomeMadeSin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2001
I'd be interested to hear about it. For reference, my '01 Tacoma came with a bed extender ($269 list). Unfortunately, my CR500R is too long for use with the bed, much less the bed extender. If I could (will try soon) pull out the tube from the center of the bed extender, it would be ok.

I'd love to have one of these, but for a short bed truck and a full size bike, it doesn't appear to be a good fit. :(

KLX4smoke

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2001
Looks pretty good to me, since a regular bed extender would have to be removed to get the bike rolled up in there anyway, then replaced, why not kill 2 birds with one stone? Good product idea IMHO.

gto-17

Aug 31, 2000
Originally posted by EdLennon
Hi all,

I just came across this product called a ReadyRamp. I found it at www.readyramp.com.

I was getting ready to ordera bed extender, but this looks lto be more functional.

Just wondering if anyone has one and if they like it?

Thanks,
Ed Lennon

Wow :cool: I'm glad I saw this I was about to order a plain bed extender, but this is certainly a better option...... ;)

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
It looks pretty slick, does it flip inside when not using it like most bed extenders? Actually the mounting looks a little suspect from the picture like it is just strapped to the tailgate.
I have been debating on a bed extender, but haven't bought on yet because I manage to get a mini and two full size bike in my Silverado short bed on a slight angle and still get the tailgate closed.

EdLennon

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2000
As promised, here is my thoughts on the "ReadyRamp" product.

It arrived on Thursday. But, I didn’t have any time to look at it until Sunday.

My first impression: The “ReadyRamp” looks to be made very well. It reminds me of one of those fold-up ladders. It’s fairly light and appears to be very sturdy. It folds in 2 places so there is 3 sections to it. Two short sections and a long middle section (the width of your tailgate).

I read the instructions and thought I’d give it a try. I unfolded the ends and put it on the back of the tailgate in “ramp” mode. I walked up and down the ramp and it didn’t flex at all. I only weigh 150 lbs, so that’s probably not saying much. I have been using a ramp made from 2x8 lumber, so the “ReadyRamp” is nicer as it is much wider.

Next, I thought that I’d try hooking it in place on the tailgate. The “ReadyRamp” does not attach to the truck with screws or plates. You strap it in place. It comes with many different straps used for the various pickup truck tailgate mechanisms out there. I own an F-150 and there are 2 different straps used. One strap is used to connect the front portion of the “ReadyRamp” to the bed of the pickup truck. This strap connects to the latch pin that the tailgate normally connects to. The other strap connects to the latch mechanism on the tailgate. The straps are made just like tie-downs that you would use for your bike. They appear to be very sturdy. In my opinion, the straps could have a little more length to them for varying which “rung” you use to connect the strap to. Once it was strapped in place, it was very secure. I tried pulling and lifting on it and it didn't move at all.

One thing that I’d like mention is that I’m paranoid about having this thing stolen. I would like to have it connected to the truck somehow so that when I come back from riding, it’s still there.

Disadvantages:

The “ReadyRamp” does NOT fold inwards like the Bed Extender product does.

It costs more than a Bed Extender does, but it also functions as a ramp.

Advantages:

The “ReadyRamp” can be used as a bed extender AND a bike ramp. This is a multi function product.

You could also use it as a bench or table if you are crafty enough to come up with a way to attach some sort of board to the top of it. You could put you equipment, toolbox or portable grill on it and have some additional horizontal space (besides your tailgate) while you’re at the races.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom