j_freak

Feb 7, 2004
I got my bike (1975 honda mr175) from our neighbors who moved out of state, and I do not have a title or bill of sale for it, thus cannot get orv tags.

Is there anywhere in King county where I could ride without tags? The trails behind my house are getting pretty boring...

P.S. If anyone has a 250cc bike for $1500 or under, send me an email at j_freak@myway.com

Hondaxrguy

May 17, 2001
Simply go down to the DOL and get a trip permit for the bike. I think they are good for 3 months? That's what my dad did with his old bike after the title was lost. Without tags or the permit, you're limited to private property only.

Jeremy

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
As far as I know trip permits are only good for three days, at least for licensed vehicles anyways. Did the previous owner give you a bill of sale of any kind even though it was given to you. I'd call the DOL to find out what you need to do to get it titled. Before they left they could have got whats called an affidavit in leiu of title. Til then like Jeremy said your limited to private property........or just don't get caught.

Steve

j_freak

Feb 7, 2004
Nope, no bill of sale, no way to contact old owners. Once I get it running again (just put a new used top end on it, need to coat the gas tank, need a new chain, need to finish fixing the shocks) I'll call the DMV and see about titling it. I've actually looked at their website, and the only thing I found was that if you put in a claim and wait 3 years (in case it's reported stolen), you can then get a title. In three years this thing will be residing in a scrap heap...

royf

Apr 27, 2002
I think you can get a registration, but not a title. You have to wait the 3 years, if no one claims the bike, then you can go and get the title. I did this with an old Trail 90 I inherited. Still have the ORV tags updated every year, but never went to the ORV to get the title.
I had one of those bikes back in 1975, damn I'm getting old!

Good luck!

Pantaz

Dec 13, 2001
Duplicate Title

I registered a 1980 RM400 in California without having any paperwork on it. I would imagine there is something similar available in Washington. It was a three step process.
1) Apply to DMV (Dept. of Motor Vehicles) for a "duplicate title" and green sticker.
2) Take to bike to a CHP (Calif. Highway Patrol) office for vehicle inspection. (They also wrote down the bike's serial number and did some kind of computer search. Probably checking stolen vehicle reports.)
3) Back to DMV with the form completed by the CHP.

All in all, pretty painless.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
When I got my XR200 it had no title. I went to the DMV and contacted the last registered owner, who gladly signed the waiver releasing interest. I had to pay a title transfer fee and sales tax, even though my bike was free (it was a negligible amount so no big deal) and I was ready to go. I did not have to wait three years. Try and contact the last registered owner first, then go from there. Were the neighbors the last registered owners, or did they never do the paperwork? Lots of times people don't on bikes. Even if they didn't leave a forwarding address with you, do you know where they moved? Do a people search, I bet you'll find them.

j_freak

Feb 7, 2004
I don't even know any of their names.

I found a place I can ride without tags, gonna take the quads out there tomorrow (bike isn't finished yet)

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
j_freak said:
I don't even know any of their names.

I found a place I can ride without tags, gonna take the quads out there tomorrow (bike isn't finished yet)

Sounds a little fishy. The reason for all this hoopla is so that a stolen bike doesn't get registered. Hmmmmm, how did you acquire this bike? You don't even know their names eh?

Top Bottom