Are my wheel bearings shot or what?

sorny

May 26, 2004
Ok, since I've had my YZ, it's always shaked a little bit a higher speeds. I dunno what speeds, but its stock gearing and a YZ 250 at 1/2 throttle in 3rd gear and up so you might know more than me. Since I"m new to the motorcycle thing, doing 20mph seems like 60 to me ;) Anyways, each rim is missing 1 spoke but otherwise doesn't look bent or anything and the guy I bought it from had recently gotten a new wheel and tire on the rear and had it trued. I jacked it up and they were both wiggling a little side to side, but it was so little that it was really hard to tell. I definately couldn't see the wiggle, just kinda hear it (like a click when it went from side to side) and I could feel it.

My question: Is missing a single spoke really bad? Would it cause my problem or are my wheel bearings shot? I didn't know if ANY play (even the tiniest amount) would be noticeable or what.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
[It sounds like they might be. Are your disc rotors wearing? The bad wheel bearings can cause this. They are fairly cheap. I say change them.

Try and find a friendly Honda shop that will help you match up the missing spoke. It is not a great idea to ride with shoddy wheels.

sorny

May 26, 2004
My rotors seem fine, but I haven't rode a lot since I got the bike due to a non-related injury. I might as well change them I guess. Can I buy a single spoke or will I have to have both wheel relaced?

shnalln

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2002
With the bike up on a stand can you feel any play in the hub when you wiggle the rims? If so, your bearings are definately shot. If not, then I'd replace the missing spokes and get the rims trued. Loose/missing spokes will cause a rim to wobble.
Oh yea, one more thing, if there is no play in the hub/bearings with the rims on the bike you could (just for peace of mind) take the wheels off the bike (your gonna have to anyway), and turn the bearings with your finger. they should turn easy and smooth with no gritty feel to them. Then if your good to go there, that'd be a good oportunity to clean and regrease your axle while the wheels are off the bike. :cool:

sorny

May 26, 2004
Yeah, when I wiggle the rims there is some play. I wasn't sure if ANY play at all automatically meant I needed bearings if it had to be really bad. I guess I'll do the bearings first and then do the spokes later on.

shnalln

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2002
We got crossed up in posting, but I'd definately replace the bearings if there is play in the hub. If you keep going on them it could mess up your hub and then $$$$. If your gonna do the bearings I'd do the spokes too and get the rims trued. 'Cause like I said, loose/missing spokes will make your rims wobble too.

sorny

May 26, 2004
Should the wheels spin free when off the ground? Because when I had it up in the air I was spinning the rims with my hand to see if they were wobbling bad enough for me to see it and they sure didn't spin more than a turn or two after I stopped pushing. Didn't know if it should freewheel as much as a bicycle wheel or not.

shnalln

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2002
Well, obviously the back rim has alot more resistance applied to it with the chain and all, so a couple turns should be expected there. The front however should turn for days. Get your bearings replaced, rims trued, axles cleaned up with scotch brite pad and lubed with a water resistant grease and you should be good to go.

sorny

May 26, 2004
Yeah, I didn't think about the rear having the chain and stuff, but the front really does only make like 1 or 2 turns by itself, feels kinda gritty. I dunno how I didn't really notice it and think of it before, duh. If it's gritty and doesn't turn well when up in the air then bearings are shot or the axles really damned dry and nasty.

KTA

Jul 14, 2000

Missing 1 spoke won't make much of a strength difference, however what it will do is unbalance the wheel. If the wheel starts spinning fast enough you would most likely feel some vibrations/shaking because of it.

Your bearings should definitely be replaced. The front wheel should spin nice and smooth, the rear should do the same with the chain detached. I check the play in my wheels after every ride. If I notice any play I replace the bearings.

As an FYI, bearings from the dealer are pricey, try to find a bearing supplier nearby. Just bring in your old ones and they should be able to size them up and give you new ones pretty cheap.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
sorny said:
My rotors seem fine, but I haven't rode a lot since I got the bike due to a non-related injury. I might as well change them I guess. Can I buy a single spoke or will I have to have both wheel relaced?

I have not had any luck buying single Yamaha spokes. Honda does sell them without buying the set. My local Honda dealer will usually help me match them up.

This also works great for brake caliper parts. Honda lists everything seperately. Yamaha is fond of 400.00 "assemblies".

Top Bottom