Are power valves opening correctly?

B

Jun 29, 2000
Hi Guys,

Ill give you my bike spec first. 89 200SR, pipe mod, 50/14 gearing Boysen single stage reeds, motor freshly rebuilt. Ive just put the motor back in since a rebuild.

Anyway, the kdx was running well for sometime until I recently heard a funning noise so I decide it was time for a rebuild. The power was hitting really nice before the rebuild, nice bottom end, a little mid range and then the valves open and it kicked into the top end OK. It was perfect for trailing as you could drop a gear and blip the throttle to host the front wheel in the first 3 gears very easily.

I changed the reeds for a new single stage set from a dual stage boysen and thats the only change Ive made. Since Ive put the motor back in the power valves are opening really late. Id say about 1-1.5K rpm later than before. The bikes now really powerful off the bottom end, the mid range seems to last forever and just as your about the give up on the topend power the valves open and its off again. Unfortunely this is no good for the bike as its usable power just isn't there.

Just to finish off, the bike sounds better than it ever has but the valves need readjusting if they can but I didn't think the valve timing could be set incorrectly. The shop said that the valves where set up incorrectly but Ive changed them 4/5 times over the years Ive owned the bike and its always been put together the same way.

Cheers B

UK

B

Jun 29, 2000
What Im asking is...... Is there anyway, that the point of which the valves open, can be adjusted?

B

Top Bottom