Dart440

Jun 12, 2002
I was riding at the track last night on my 02 426 f and a friend of mine wanted to try my bike, I hopped on his highly modified 125 and proceeded off to have fun throwing this little bike around well i watch my friend on my 426 just having a blast getting awesome air and just holding it open in the corners, I come up over this jump and come down to see my friend sitting with the bike stalled on the bottom when he hit the rear brake, I pulled up beside and was horrified he was twisting the throttle trying to kick this thing over without the decompression pulled in! I hopped on the bike pulled in the decompressor and kicked it about 10 times then just kicked it without the hotstart on and it actually fired I thought I was going to be in trouble hearing all the horror stories but didnt have any trouble whatso ever!! I hardly ever use my hot start and it starts good after a stall just have to kick it very solidly.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Thats cool. My 02 426 was a beast. I just traded up for the 03. This bike starts like a 2 stroke with mucho compression.

whyz

~SPONSOR~
Nov 18, 2001
Whats the Hotstart button for and why?
Just askng cause I dont know.

And how come some 4 strokes dont have one?
Like an xr 350 for instance.
Thank you.

B

biglou

It's like the opposite of a choke. It opens a path to let a little more air into the mix to lean it out for easier starting when hot. A choke closes off some of the air path to richen the mixture for cold starting. My guess on why some bikes don't have it is that they just aren't as sensitive to the temperature swings as the big, high-performance thumpers are.

DualSportr

Aug 22, 2000
<<My guess on why some bikes don't have it is that they just aren't as sensitive to the temperature swings as the big, high-performance thumpers are.
>>

Bikes fitted with pumper carbs need the hotstart that doesn't activate the pump. Bikes without a pumper carb don't have them because you can open the throttle without flooding the engine.

BTW, some carbs (like the early XR350. I believe) have an enrichener circuit as opposed to a choke. When you pull the 'choke' lever, it throws more fuel into the mix, instead of blocking the air. These seem to work better for some engines that don't like to start hot.

Actually, all engines have a 'hot start' button. It's the throttle. On a non-pumper carbureted engine, simply hold the throttle wide open for the same effect.

Top Bottom