daotoys1

May 25, 2003
I have read all the posts/replies I could find on this issue but still cannot find a definative answer to the question....Is it safe to use ATF in the gear box????.....what is the current thinking on this issue?....any additional info on this topic would be welcomed...Thank you...Doug

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
There are two basic types of atf Dextron, and type "F". Dextron is the most common, and is used in todays modern cars ( You'll see dextron levels II, III, IV and i think V) All dextron is backward compatible, Ie use Dextron IV in a tranny that states use Dex III. Type "F' was a mainly used in 1980 and older ford vehicles. Type "F" is thicker and a little more " sticky".

I hjave heard good and bad reviews about using atf... but have not been able to isolate if they had used type "F" or dextron

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
Type F in my '01 kx250 for two years, no problems as yet (knock on wood). Still using the original clutch from the factory too. Although I'm not a rev'er or much of a slipper either.

steve.emma

Oct 21, 2002
the insides of a car automatic gearbox and lock up torque converter are the basically the same as in a bike gearbox (execpt for the valve body) so atf is an ideal oil to use, its thin and flows easily when cold,plus compared to special bike gearbox oils its very cheap so you can change it often.
i have used it in every bike ive owend and not only have i never had a problem but in some cases it has improved the clutch feel and has less drag (i.e. kick start in gear)
anyone who says they have had some problems with atf have probably had other factors that influenced their result,and the cause wasnt the oil after all.
i would recomend trying it and deciding for yourself.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by BadCRC
Zerotact, do you use ATF in your bike?

How about you Rich?

I used ATF it in my RM150 with good results but didn't like the way it shifted in my 01 CR125 so I didn't use it for very long.

Last edited:

Jonny426

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2001
Type F atf is formulated for use with asbestos clutch plates. Since car auto transmissions got rid of that stuff as a friction material in the late 70's you don't see it around much.I have used Dexron,DexronII&DexronIII in several 2 strokes for many years and never had a problem. Type F seems to make the clutch grab better but sometimes drag.The stuff is cheap compared to specialty oils so change it frequently.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I used type F exclusively in my RM. Mobil 1 15W50 and Phillips 66 racing trans fluid worked better in my CR and my CRF. My RM didn't like either of those expensive oils. Not all bikes react the same to ATF.

grease

Mod Ban
Sep 7, 2003
hey rich, or anyone
i have a 99 rm125 i had a severe case of dragging in the past so i replaced the hub and basket, and seemed to clear it up. Recently it acted up again. So i replaced the lever and perch, how should i adjust this properly to have no slippage or draggage. I noticed a slight drag out of the corner and slippage until i got in the higher speeds. Is it most likely to be my shify release lever is worn which is cuase drag, and the play is incorrectly adjusted which caused the slippage. What type of oil should i be running,(you used atf in your 150), should i run ATF type F, if so what brand. I am running Polaris Predator wet clutch oil. Also how should i adjust the clutch for no slippage or dragging.
apreciate any help

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
"Also how should I adjust the clutch for no slippage or dragging."
As a general rule of thumb, you should be able to stick a nickle in between the lever and the perch with no pressure applied. That should give you just about the right freeplay.
If you can not adjust the freeplay to make the clutch work, then there is something else at work. Either you have a stretchy clutch cable (happens all the time.) or there is something else going on inside there.

Can Can Kev

Feb 24, 2003
which woudl you guys say is better to run regular motor oil ( liek a Valvoline 10w40) or a ATF i work at pepboys and get good deals on all this junk hehe! hows the Quakerstate ATF?

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
IMHO the argument auto transmission is similar enough to a cycle gearbox is flawed.

An auto's clutches and bands are only used momentarily upon shifting. The are otherwise locked up. A cycles's clutch sees longer duty cycle and heat extreems.

An auto's gears are constant-mesh helical gear planetaries. Cycles are flat, spur gear with higher shock loading.

Similarly, One wouldn't put atf in a diff for obvious reasons.

I'm not saying its wrong, nor dispute peoples success, I just have issues with the 'its the same thing' reasoning..

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom