Josh D

Nov 11, 2001
Just wanted to let some of you newer KDX owners in on the experience I had. I bought a 97' 200 last summer. Here are the mods that were done to it (that I know of)- aftermarket pipe, stock silencer, airbox lid removed, alum. handguards, and IMS pro series rod. Well I was tearing it down last fall in October because it seemed to be not as strong as it used to be, and seemed to be jetted way rich. Come to find out, it was geared 16/48 (why?), and jetted 158/48. So, it seemed that a prior owner had a wierd use for it or something. I got a new sprocket 2 teeth smaller in the front, before finding out that stock was actually 13, which I should have gotten. Anyhow, the 14 is much better than 16 anyway you look at it!

Anyhow, I got into a bad accident and only about a month ago, I was able to start on it again, and order my parts. Got it all put back together today. I didn't do much, but what has changed from how I got it is- geared 14/48, jetted 155/45, new shroud graphics, all new engine gaskets, and new wiseco piston/rings. I was only able to ride it around for 5 min. tonight to start the break in, but WOW what a difference already, and I never got over 1/4 throttle. It was like a new bike.

This was the 1st top end I've ever done, and had a friend help me some. I'm not a mechanic by any means, only a regular dirtbike woods rider. I work mainly out of a $100 set of Craftsman tools, with a few other screwdrivers and such, as well as the shop manual. I plan on riding it tomorrow some to see how it really feels. May not be all I hope it to be, but it seems that it will. The piston that was in it was all carboned up bad and scored, and the rings seemed pretty weak.

I just wanted to post this to show that if you buy a used bike, it would be a good idea to go through it and check everything out. Everything I bought for it totaled up to probably $140, including top end, gaskets, graphics, oil, and foam filter oil. Used mainly common tools and a shop manual. Just take your time and have a buddy help you, hopefully you won't find that your new bike is a cluster like mine was, but it seems like everything is sorted out now and hopefully it will be everything a KDX is supposed to be :aj:

I think my buddy on his new-to-him 98' modded out YZ125 is gonna get a rude awakening tomorrow from the green machine!

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
Thats better.
You didn't mention the needle...
If you havn't gone there yet there in no doubt more performance avail.

Top Bottom