Avatar Question? Is mine being changed intentionally by admins?

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Ok well what did he do?

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I think the avatar is cool. Reminds me of the 'three amigos'. ;)

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
I find it interesting also, but again if Rob does not like it, it should not be there. Period.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Pred is always standing there waving a white flag! :nener:

loudandproud

Jul 29, 2006
trial_07 said:
Okie why don't you explain the story instead of bashing opinions like mine and elliot's who differ from yours? If you could explain, maybe it could change our minds! Don't you agree? But basically, if Rob wants to change the avatar, it should be respected!

Okie, he has got a point. I mean really man, screwing with the very people that make your website up and support it isnt the brightest idea.

I understand that its your site and your right to do what you want,

but remember, so do we. The more this goes on the more paying $3.50 a month to be a part of it is shoved into the back of my mind.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Same for me! Thanks loudandproud, your support is refreshing. Keep in mind Okie that I am not trying to start a bloody battle against you!

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
elliot67 said:
It just seems everytime a young person decides to share their opinion they get pounded to the ground by insults and jokes aimed at them.
Not every time; it just seems that way! ;) :laugh: (I frequently refrain from posting what I'm thinking!)

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
OK without insulting anyone here if Rob wants the story out in public he can explain it. He brought the topic public and it is up to him to decide how much detail comes out. You guys have the right to express feelings as long as they stay civil (which so far you have) but as stated nobody (other then Okie) has carte blanc whether they be regular members, paying subscribers or mods.
Also as stated by Okie Rob can change his avatar anytime he chooses

ComradeMikhail

Mi. Trail Riders
May 2, 2005
oldguy said:
robwbright said:
I've changed it back to my chosen avatar 3 or 4 times and it keeps getting changed back to the cat/hand thing

It seems he has tried changing it back multiple times, only to have it changed back yet again. I may not know the whole story behind it (although I have seen multiple threads with Okie and Rob at it), it would seem someone is trying to torment him by changing it back every time he changes it back to his norm. I agree with eilliot and trial_07, that even though his opinions/whatever the issue may be between him and Okie are, as a paying subscriber, he should be able to change his avatar back without it being changed back to something he doesn't like. Just my opinion. Although, like I said, I don't know the whole story behind it.

Last edited:

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Is this story a Top Secret F.B.I. dossier or is there somebody to reveal it so that we can actually understand what's going on?

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
oldguy said:
OK without insulting anyone here if Rob wants the story out in public he can explain it. He brought the topic public and it is up to him to decide how much detail comes out. You guys have the right to express feelings as long as they stay civil (which so far you have) but as stated nobody (other then Okie) has carte blanc whether they be regular members, paying subscribers or mods.

OK, so what did you do to get your hand slapped Rob????

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Ehh take it with a grain of salt. They have changed my posts around for not agreeing.. Lifes to short to sweat the small stuff :laugh:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Good grief, folks...
Rob has his panties in a bunch over the avatar...and he may have a point or two that would back his being upset...
But, geez louise...it's just a stinkin avatar. I have been here for several years now, and I can tell you from being a witness that if Rob wasn't respected at least a little bit, he would more than likely not even be here.
The hacked avatar thing is nothing but a term of endearment, IMO.

elliot and trial...you guys need to keep in mind that you are kids. And sure, you are going to get your panties in a bunch by me making this point, but you have to realize that you are still learning about life...and as good as some of your points are, you have got to realize that this place is NOT a democracy. It is a club...soley owened by one man. One man who can do as he damn well pleases with the site.

If you youngins think you will fare better at the other moto sites, then by all means go there and enjoy your "rights" as a board poster.
But if you like this place, sit back and relax...and try your best to realize just what is and what isn't your business.

Rob should be glad he isn't sporting the butt hat.

And, Rob...
I am certain that the riff is all about your style. I mean you have, on more than multiple occasions, posted up something that was nothing but a cut-n-paste from another site. No commentary, no providing your take, no nothing...
You have also done this with not only published diatribes from highly respected sites, like the Onion...but you also tend to post up quotes from dead statesmen, as if all one has to do is read the quote and the topic is made crystal clear.
Many of us were to a point that when we saw your cut-n-paste diatribes, we would simply scan past it, feeling fairly confident that there was not much of anything of substance within the read.

On your behalf, I have seen that you are starting to debate. And that is what it's all about anywho.
Keep up the debate, and you will most definately find those who will engage you.
Keep posting the thoughts and drivel of others, and you will more than likely continue to be ridiculed. Fair or not...

I have a suggestion...as I am one who tends to post up manifestos (hush, Pred!)...
Give us what you have...spill your thoughts, and then give us a link that we can go to for reference. We can decide on our own if we want to wade through it or not.
Hit-and-run cut-n-paste is a bit cowardous...or at least gives that impression, IMO.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
trial_07 said:
I've just shared my opinion and explained how humor is perceived differently.

I have found that people who explain how humor is perceived, usually don't get jokes.

dales298

Mostly Useless
~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2003
If most of rob's posts would generate this much interest (5 pages and growing with only one post) then all of this would not have happened. I thought Okie made a point, not a joke, so maybe I missed it. :think:

Dale

loudandproud

Jul 29, 2006
Jaybird said:
Good grief, folks...
Rob has his panties in a bunch over the avatar...and he may have a point or two that would back his being upset...
But, geez louise...it's just a stinkin avatar. I have been here for several years now, and I can tell you from being a witness that if Rob wasn't respected at least a little bit, he would more than likely not even be here.
The hacked avatar thing is nothing but a term of endearment, IMO.

elliot and trial...you guys need to keep in mind that you are kids. And sure, you are going to get your panties in a bunch by me making this point, but you have to realize that you are still learning about life...and as good as some of your points are, you have got to realize that this place is NOT a democracy. It is a club...soley owened by one man. One man who can do as he damn well pleases with the site.

If you youngins think you will fare better at the other moto sites, then by all means go there and enjoy your "rights" as a board poster.But if you like this place, sit back and relax...and try your best to realize just what is and what isn't your business.

Rob should be glad he isn't sporting the butt hat.

And, Rob...
I am certain that the riff is all about your style. I mean you have, on more than multiple occasions, posted up something that was nothing but a cut-n-paste from another site. No commentary, no providing your take, no nothing...
You have also done this with not only published diatribes from highly respected sites, like the Onion...but you also tend to post up quotes from dead statesmen, as if all one has to do is read the quote and the topic is made crystal clear.
Many of us were to a point that when we saw your cut-n-paste diatribes, we would simply scan past it, feeling fairly confident that there was not much of anything of substance within the read.

On your behalf, I have seen that you are starting to debate. And that is what it's all about anywho.
Keep up the debate, and you will most definately find those who will engage you.
Keep posting the thoughts and drivel of others, and you will more than likely continue to be ridiculed. Fair or not...
I have a suggestion...as I am one who tends to post up manifestos (hush, Pred!)...
Give us what you have...spill your thoughts, and then give us a link that we can go to for reference. We can decide on our own if we want to wade through it or not.
Hit-and-run cut-n-paste is a bit cowardous...or at least gives that impression, IMO.

there, thank god somebody just got up and fricken explained.

If that is what he was doing that is ok the Okie is flexing his mod rights. If he was warned i would rather see a suspension but he if he is one of your buddies and you guys "know" eachother then yah, mess with em a bit.

But if it was me, someone that justed signed up and you guys have no idea who i am and cronically kept changing my avatar i would be annoyed (if i was paying subscrider). Granted i probably would have knocked it off in the first place.

But now to the second issue you brought up...

Also the "rights" comment wasnt meant to push any buttons or to burn bridges, but us youngins do relise we are young on this site, and that is the key reason i am careful with what i say to people that are older or hold a subscription, or a moderation/admintistration position. I know it is just the internet but i pay respect to those people and i would hope they would pay it back.

I personally feel that noone here of the "kids" you speak of, has said anything offensive or disrespectful to anyone else, but they sure seem to get some back.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Here's the reason I went public with this thread:

Several weeks ago, my posts disappeared for a week or more before I even noticed it. I would not have known that my posts disappeared except that MXGirl230 was kind enough to email me and tell me that my posts were not appearing.

Note that she does not visit "Hardball Politics". Therefore she neither loves nor hates me. ;)

As soon as I found out my posts weren't appearing I sent Okiewan a PM - nice and not nasty, as I recall.

I received no response from Okiewan. For more than a week after that I had no idea whether or not my posts were appearing. Finally, about a week later, MXGirl230 emailed me to tell me that my posts were appearing again. Still never heard from Okiewan.

Then my avatar got changed. I didn't even really look at it closely - I guessed it was a glitch and I changed it back. Hours or a day later it was back to the cat/hand.

I changed again and again. It always got changed back to the cat/hand.

I may be wrong, but I suspect that my posts were intentionally made invisible. If I'm wrong, please correct me and tell me what was going on. If not, own up to it.

If the invisible posts and the avatar thing are some kind of minor political persecution, fine. I'll leave the cat/hand thing if it amuses you. Majority rules in a democracy. I'm sure you could probably ban me if you wanted to.

If it's a joke, fine as well. Of course, we haven't exactly been joking with each other in the political forum, so I didn't really take it that way.

However, I think it is a bit screwy to set up a political forum and then complain because political items get posted there.

Perhaps you should rename it "Hardball (far right) Politics".

Signed:

rainbowbright - as some here refer to me.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Jaybird said:
One man who can do as he damn well pleases with the site.

And, Rob...

Keep posting the thoughts and drivel of others, and you will more than likely continue to be ridiculed. Fair or not.

Jaybird:

If you recall in the seemingly endless "Why we fight" thread, I debated for pages and pages. And yes, I used lots of quotes from dead statesmen, but most of it was my own thoughts.

That thread deteriorated into personal attacks, etc. . . and I was part of that and shouldn't have been.

And please, Jaybird - you know full well that I've done lots of debating on here - as well as a lot of posting without comment.

Sometime after that I saw Tony Eads posting some links to articles that I found interesting (even if I didn't agree with them sometimes) and he wasn't really posting much commentary. Seemed like a good idea to me. As you know, I seem to find some news articles "off the beaten path" which you won't find in the MSM here in the U.S. Those are the ones I tend to post for infomative purposes. If it's for informative purposes, I see no need to comment on it.

Generally speaking, if there is no commentary from me the article is either for informative purposes only or it IS my thoughts - just written by someone else.

I seem to recall that a wise man once said that there is nothing new under the sun. All of our political opinions/thoughts have been influenced and are influenced by other people. Most of those people are dead statesmen or dead scientists or whatever. Some of them are Rush or O'Reilly or Hannity.

The reason for posting quotes of dead statesmen is that I believe they were men of principle and that their principles were correct and were developed in circumstances that are not all that different from our own. Further, when I say "principle" I mean it in the sense of "law". I believe that there are political and economic principles that are as solid and reliable as the law of gravity or law of thermodynamics. As a consequence, if a person or nation doesn't follow those principles, that person or nation is on the decline rather than on the rise.

I agree with those dead men and their principles. Their thoughts are generally my thoughts in that respect. That is why I have relied on them on many occasions.

Further, Christ also talked about not speaking from yourself and that he spoke from a higher authority - God.

Washington and Jefferson, for example, are not Gods, but they are certainly a higher authority than robwbright. Thus, if they're correct, I'd rather put it in their words than mine. It carries more weight.

If you think their statements and opinions are "drivel" and desire to "scan past them", feel free to skip over. I only post things that I think are interesting and that I think some others will find interesting. In 20 minutes every morning of visiting my normal haunts, I usually find 5-10 articles that fit this description and I try to limit it to one or two a day here.

Of course, all my quoting goes back to the legal principle of precedent. When I win an argument in a brief or motion, it's usually because I have referred to and quoted legal precedent that is more on point than the other attorney's. Sometimes little commentary is necessary.

My personal opinion is not very important in the Courtroom. Facts and law are the important thing. Thus, I tend to go to personal opinion last - in any debate, Courtroom or otherwise.

As to the statement, "One man who can do as he damn well pleases with the site."

I agree that it's his site and as to non-paying members, that is essentially totally true. . .

. . . but as to paying members, from a legal perspective, that's only true insofar as the contract between the website and the paying members is upheld.

Kids can be right, too.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Rob we are not a courtroom but instead a room full of friends and aquaintances. When you leave the courtroom with your vast year of experience I would hope you talk to friends and aquaintances on the street in real words and not legal precedent.
On DRN I can not say you and I are friends (may be different if we ever meet) but if I see you post cut n paste I write it off (and do not waste time to read it and hit links) but if you actually write in your words your thoughts I do read it. BTW I hope one of the usual haunts you refer to in getting your info is not 'The Onion" Living in Wisconsin and knowing several of their editorial staff personally nothing they publish is without tongue firmly in cheek

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Ok. Time for a group hug. ;) Not you Pred, :whoa: You're startin' to worry me. :yikes: :laugh:

For those that don't know what is going on, step up and become a support team member. There is a lot more going on in these forum than what you see on the front page. Being a STM gives you many privileges that registered members do not get.

In the mean time, don't get your bvd's all in a bunch. It's just a internet message board. :coocoo:

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Keep in mind that Okie's a kid too! Only a kid two years older than I am. This here isn't a democracy? Are you serious? Then it should be called the ''Ask Okiewan Board''! Realise that discussions would be pretty boring. Glad your avatar was given back to you Robwbright.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom