MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
I have been on a waiting list for two years to get into take a course in Dental Assisting. I found out the other day that they have openings and that I just needed to show up with the money! So I did and I start classes in two weeks and they end in February. Then I can take the X-Ray course. I'm excited and nervous at the same time. I have wanted to do this for awhile, but just couldn't get in. This will at least get my foot in the door and find out if this is what I really want to do.

I would like to go for Dental Hygiene, but that's a 3yr Associates degree...This is a much cheaper route to get started. Who knows, maybe I would get in w/a dentist that would pay my tuition... I hope that my Dentist would hire me, my family has been going to them for a very long time now. This time around we have been there 10yrs, when we lived here before it was like 5yrs or something. So that would be cool. We'll see what happens, hopefully something good will come out of it.

I've been in retail management for over 8yrs now. I don't want to be in retail for the rest of my life. I hate it, but I seem to be good at it. Right now I am the Assistant Store Manager for Advance Auto Parts. I have been there for 6 months after spending over 7rs at Wal-Mart as a Department Manager. What sucks is I went from a Mon-Fri 7-4pm job to working weekends, night and 10hr days. I did it mostly b/c I HAD to get out of Wal-Mart. I do like it, but it's not what I want. They are wanting me to be a Store Manager within the next year or so. I don't know if I want that or not. It would be pretty cool, but I don't really want to run a store. I just like working with people, but I'm kinda burned out on retail.

I just wanted to share my news!!

progirlz

Sep 8, 2006
Well Congratulations! You don't seem to be waiting for things to happen...seems you are going out there and making them happen. Good for you. You're smart to realize this may or may not be what you want. Best of luck to you.

Last edited:

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Great news Tracie! I think it's a great idea that you've decided to take that route rather than diving right into a Dental Hygienist program, so you can see if that's what you want to do. That way, I"m sure you'll have less regrets if you find out that's not what you want to do!

Good luck along the way - I can't blame you for not wanting to be in retail forever, I worked at Old Navy once, during the Christmas season, and I'll never do it again!

I'm going to school and working full time too - so I can totally sympathize with what your schedule will look like! But I, like you, am stuck in a field (I'm an Administrative Assistant in a construction company) that I don't want to do for the rest of my life.

Good luck!!!!

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
what is it about you ladies . . . ;)

My wife is working within her degree right now, but the politics are killin' her. She may get into a paramedic program, once we know the time commitment. We'll see how it goes.

hope everything works out for everybody!

Apr 30, 2007
I agree with Pred...

The politics really kill stuff for me. I'm trying to graduate this coming spring with my bachelor's degree at 19. Problem is that the politics at my school are trying to keep me there for another two years.

Then it's grad school and even worse politics for another 5 years :whoa:

School is kinda..."yucky"

Congrats on getting in the class! Two years takes some real chutzpa (is that the right word?)!

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
medwaste said:
Are you going to keep your job and go to school?

Yeah I'll still work my 50hr weeks and go to school for 8hrs total a week. It's two nights of 4 hr classes. Shouldn't be too bad...not sure when I'm going to make it to the gym now :bang:

Thanks everyone for the input, positive thoughts, etc.. :)

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
Well I just found out my sister signed up too...grr!!! Kinda sucks, because this was MY thing that I have wanted to do for quite some time now...Oh well...She just better not get a job before I do!!!

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
MXGirl230 said:
Well I just found out my sister signed up too...grr!!! Kinda sucks, because this was MY thing that I have wanted to do for quite some time now...Oh well...She just better not get a job before I do!!!

but will give you a study partner!

congrads!!

i remember when you were concerned over the switch from walmart to the auto parts store. certainly sounds like you are moving upward along your plan. remember that at times you have to take a short term hit for a long term gain - of course you know this but take some time to be happy that it is working out for you.

good luck!

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
I like Advance, but I don't want to sell auto parts for the next 30yrs...

I wonder what my Store Manager will say when he finds out exactly WHAT class I am taking...lol I just told him "A class" and I need to be out by this time...he said Okay! lol Now if he throws this fall ASE testing thing at me, then I really won't have any time! I'll be studying for my Dental thing and thinking about sensors and tranny parts or something! :yikes:

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
XRpredator said:
I don't like thinking about trannys at all . . . :whoa:

lol, me either really...after the $700 I just spent on mine in the YZ!!! GRRR!!!

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
cnielse5 said:
I don't think that was the Tranny Pred was referring too!!!

Yeah I know..I like to run circles around him and make him think! lol

WomanRider

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 19, 2006
I went back to school after my youngest was born, she is now 17. I found school much easier as an older adult. I did college after high school but never finished. My priorities were not right back then.

Good luck with your studies

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
Good for you. I just retired from the military and may start school at the young age of 48. I may have to wait like you since the course I'm interested in just started at Baker in Muskegon. Med/Dental is the way to go. I am looking at a Vet. Assistant program which is 2 years. Still have to work though but I can fall back on my engineering background I guess. Back in the trenches. Good luck to you. See you at the tracks - BA today!

Top Bottom