emoney

Mar 4, 2001
Over my riding years I've sprained my thumbs numerous times. My chiropractor says I've developed arthritis in both. 6 weeks ago I jammed my right thumb, and it hasn't really healed since. When I ride now the slightest impact seems to re-injure it. I went back to my chiro for some ultrasound and an adjustment. He said I irreparable ligament damage. I have very little grip strength in that hand, and after riding 3-4 laps it becomes very difficult to hang on. Is there anything I can do to condition my thumb? The joint is twice the size of the other one and it's not because of swelling. Would surgery help. I'm 33 years old and race in the +30 expert class. I would like to continue to be competitive, but it's becoming more difficult. Any suggestions?

scotts250

Jul 30, 2001
I would find a good orthopedic surgeon and get a second opinion. I am amazed at what they can repair and with little side effects long term.
I would be suprised if an ortho doc. couldn't fix or at least improve your situation. Some times targeted physical therapy can work to some extent to improve the strength of the undamaged parts to help compensate for the torn parts. I was able to delay rotator cuff repair for years by training the muscles that were still intact to take over for the torn muscles.
Hope you find a solution.

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
I'd go to the health food store and buy a couple of books about natural diet guidelines against arthritis. It could be that you are prone to it anyway and that the injuries just accelerated the process. Did you know that theres a family of foods that contributes to arthritis? They contain tomatoes potatoes and peppers. Down here where they live on tomatoes all the adults have arthritis. I used to have arthritis until I changed my diet and did different internal cleansing therapies. I'm 44 and still ride like the wind.

Top Bottom