kmmtn1

Jan 17, 2002
I need some ballpark suspension information. I have more money than time and I'm a lousy mechanic. I weigh 210 and I'm an junior/intermediate rider who is slowing down with the family and age.

I rarely jump and my riding area ranges from technical tight trail/tree sections to 4 and 5 gear fire roads. In the winter and spring I ride in heavy rutted areas with rocks and roots. I would like to have the bike ride a little on the plusher side with good turning characterisics.

Can someone make a solid recommendation on making a stock 02' 220 closer to what my needs are. I have a good local shop and want to avoid sending my forks and shock out in the mail (again I don't have the time).

Spring size (s) ??
Manufacturer ??
Oil level ??
Settings ??
Valving ??

I know riding conditions and rider and preference change I just want a ball park...Thanks.

KM:D

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Some suggestions:

Spring size (s) ?? Front .42 Rear 5.2
Manufacturer ?? Order from MX Tech
Oil level ?? use your local tuner
Settings ?? use your local tuner
Valving ?? use your local tuner - gold valves probably

At 210 you may or may not need to change that rear spring, that's up to you. I run .42 with 5.0 stocker. If you are not shipping out your suspension then this local tuner can do everything for you if he knows what he is doing. If cannot answer the remaining questions then I don't think I would use him myself.You really don't need to do a revalve if you don;t want to. Setting up the springs for your weight and balanced front to rear will make a nice difference. A fork oil change set at 100MM will do the trick. I suggest you use Mobil 1 ATF in your forks. (It's about 7.5 wt)

Have you visited just KDX for some bike prep, set up suggestions?
http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/

Check out the hop up guide for some inexpensive suggestions to allow the bike to pull you better in the technical trails. Mod the aiorbox lid, add a 12T front sprocket and jet the bike for about $15.00 and it will work quite a bit better, throw in an FMF Rev pipe for $180 and she'll rip!

Good luck.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Gear adds 10-15 lbs:

Forks: .44 kg/mm
Shock 5.2 kg mm

Are good for your weight + gear. Respringing will make a big difference. Stiffer fork springs will actual make the front more plush because you'll spend more time in the upper part of the travel. Stock KDX springs were intended for 135 lb rider. If you are going to use a local tuner, I'd follow his recommendations for valving and oil level.

Sage

dirtbike riding roadracer
Mar 28, 2001
Where are you at in Oregon? The riding here in Bend is quite a bit different than over in the valley and require different set ups.

kmmtn1

Jan 17, 2002
I have been riding in the coast range between Corvallis and the coast at Bear meadows. I've also been going to Willamina when the snow isn't too deep. I haven't had a chance to do Millican or any of the areas in Bend yet. Drove out and looked though the last time I went sledding at Bachelor.:)

KM

Sage

dirtbike riding roadracer
Mar 28, 2001
.44 front with a slightly lower oil level @ 110-120, 5wt fork oil
5.2-5.4 on the rear
As for valving I've used the race tech and mx tech set ups and mx tech seems to work pretty good around here.

Next time your in town stop by and say hi.

Top Bottom