scrawshaw

Dec 19, 2001
Well my rotor went from slightly bent to slightly more bent. Guess that stock sharkfin on my WR250F needs to be upgraded. (any suggestions anyone?) The bend is enough to feel when you spin the wheel and you can see it but the caliper seems to float enough to handle it. Can I leave it? Can I bend it back? If I have to replace it, should I get a stock one?
I took a closer look and while there is cosmetic damage to the stock plastic shark fin, there is also a bit of evidence of an impact to the rotor where it is bent. This impact was not on the braking surface. I guess what I am saying is I need more protection not just stronger protection since it seems that the impact with the rotor took place while it was outside the shark fin. Hopefully the after market shark fins cover more of the disk. I have toyed with the idea of adding one in front too since my disk is naked up there but I was worried about trapping mud and wasn't sure if I wanted a metal one since if it gets bent, it might hit the rotor and force a trailside repair where as plastic should bounce back. At least with the front, the most likely way to damage it is dropping the bike on the rocks whereas with the rear, who knows how it got hit since I can't keep an eye on it and there are one or two rocks in New England that might have bounced off of it. I'm sure the warp will wear the pads quicker but since I basically never use the rear brake, that doesn't bother me and I don't think the extra drag will be an issue since it isn't bad. The brake feels fine on the road so I don't think it will affect the bike in the woods.

rcers

Jan 17, 2001
Ther is a website ROCKYMOUNTAINMC.COM that sells aftermarket rotors for about 50.00.Ive had one for almost 2 yrs now on my KTM with great results for about half the price of most rotors.Give them a look before buying stock.

BJAWES

Mar 22, 2004
Yes you do need to buy a new rotor. You can't bend it back. The runout spec. on dirt bike rotors is almost nonexsistant. Sorry man but if you hit em' in the side and you can see the spot where it's bent, you gotta buy a new one. - bjawes

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Does the rotor have a kink in it? If so then it's trash.You can straighten them out if it's not too bad with a large crescent wrench and use the pads and caliper as a guide to how much to bend it. Check it out closely though for cracks where it's bent. The fact that you can still spin the wheel tells me that it's not beyond repair.

scrawshaw

Dec 19, 2001
In case anyone cares, that crescent wrench stuff really works! In 5 minutes, I got the rotor almost perfect again. Man that steel is soft! I also confirmed that a real sharkfin (as apposed to the junk that Yamaha put on my bike) would have saved me in this case. The plastic sharkfin caught some of the rock but the rest of it tapped the rotor behind it; right where a Scotts fin would have been.

Thank you for all the information. Once again, I am in Dirtrider.nets debt!

Top Bottom