yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
My side panels and rr fender don't line up right. Is there any chance that it is because of a bent fender? I assume it's a bent subframe because the bolts are hard to get in because the seat frame bolts don't line up exactly. Can I buy a cheap aftermarket one? Can I get it unbent somehow? Thanks

scotts250

Jul 30, 2001
Subframe

You can try to lay the bike against a tree or something and kick or dead blow hammer the subframe in the oposite direction of how it was bent. Or if you can get you hands on a porta-power hydraulic cylinder you can apply pressure in the direction you want to make the correction then whack it with the dead blow hammer. Seems to work better with the chrome-moly subframes than the aluminum. I think the chrome moly has a better "memory" when bent. I was able to get my '01 CR250 subframe fairly straight this way but really just had to apply enough pressure to bend it back into place. My 1994 subframe kind of just "boing" popped back to the original shape with the porta-power and a couple of whacks.
If you want an aftermarket, AC Racing makes one that you can buy for about $130 to $170. A new one is about $250 from Service Honda.
Scott

chooch

Mar 6, 2001
You can try to pound it back to shape, but its gonna be tough without a reference frame, and will be very tough if its just a little twisted. Also, you might compromise the subframe's strength. Is it for your CR? ACRacing sells aftermarket aluminum subframes for $189 retail, and you could probably look around for a better deal. ServiceHonda.com sells the stock subframe for $234. I'm currently in looking for a subframe for my 93 cr250, but don't really want to shell out $200 for a new one. Hope this helps.

JohnnyB

chooch

Mar 6, 2001
Hey Scotts250, must have hit that "Submit Reply" button right after you did :) . Do you know where I could get that AC Racing frame for $130?

JohnnyB

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Seen people use a very long bar but you have to be careful not to crease any tubes.
I prefer the large rubber mallet & my best whack it out of the park impression. Be careful & don’t wear gloves, it makes it real easy . . . um, . . to, er. . let go like. Glad the neighbours weren’t home.

Ally is a real pig I’m told, haven’t had to try it yet.

Top Bottom