bent XR footpeg mounts..what do I do

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Managed to case a big double on my XR400 today. Bent both footpeg mounts down... at least 1.5" on the right and a little less than an inch on the left. The one on the right is easy, bend it back and if it breaks, bolt a new on on. The one on the left is what worries me as it is entirely welded to the frame. SOmehow, I got away with a bruised foot and some sore knees and ankles. I am thinking my skid plate kept the frame from digging in and throwing me off the bike....the skid plate is now "custom fitted" to the underside of my bike.

Anybody else have this problem? Is it safe to assume that the mounts are permanently weakened and are going to bend again? If so, what can I do the strengthen the left side (welded to frame). I plan on finding some steel pipe (gonna take a fairly long pipe to get the leverage) to bend them back...any other suggestions

Thanks

webbrace

May 18, 2000
I did the same thing on an XR600. I replaced the bolt on one, and took the bike over to a really good fab shop, (welder). They straightend the welded on one, then the also beefed it up so it wouldnt happen again.

Top Bottom