pyromaniac

Jun 25, 2000
Hey im about to begin to race a little more serious so im stepping down from my maytoopowerful-250 to a lighter 125. Im thinking of a '96-'99 years model. I currently thinking of a '98 cr125 as im a honda fan. But if any other model and brand have signifficant better suspension it may be something worth looking on. I also have a little memory that the kx had the best suspension on the little older bikes, im i totally wrong? Why i ask for the best suspension is because everything else will be good enought or easy to make good enought - with only me and the suspension limiting the speed.

Mike198

Jul 8, 2002
im not sure how much money you have, but the new crs have the best handling. look into a 02 or 03 cr. if you cant get that, look into a 00-01

pyromaniac

Jun 25, 2000
As i said im looking on the year 96-99, isnt it obous thats what i can afford? Or did you think i could afford a brand new but think the older is better?

Ofcourse the 02 or 03 have the best everything and the 01 the next best. What im looking on is a year that may stand out from the crowd as my current '93 cr250 had the best 250 engine up to year '95 i was told and dont doubt a second on it as i have no problem hanging on the new bikes on the straights but forget about that.

So what im asking for is if there is any 125cc bike that stands out of the crowd on the suspension in the year up to '99.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Right then my little round up of the 125s-lets look at 98/99 as before that anything could have been changed and 125s dont tend to last that long.

98KX-weak engine and suspension had progressive springs that were horrible but may have been replaced by now.
RM reliability a bit dubious but not a bad bike to ride- suspension wasnt something i can remember about
YZ -very good allrounder with very good suspension
CR-1st alloy frame-vibrates bad /seat rock hard, engine like the KX and stiff suspension-not a good year.
KTM-great engine-rock hard rear suspension-soft front

99 KX-new layout i liked less than the 98-progressive springs again-not much better overall than 98.
RM similar relaibilty problems(clutch/gearboxes)again i cant remember how good the suspension was.
YZ another good year-good all rounder.
Cr-alot beeter IMO-it had a better engine that wasnt all midrange and the suspension was really plush-if your are light this is the bike for you.
KTM had great engine again but reasonable rear and had the 50mm Wp exptreme forks that i hated but many liked.

My pics would be 98/99 YZ or 99CR.
Hope that helps,i cant remember much about the RMs as so few people seem to buy them-i wonder why that is?

pyromaniac

Jun 25, 2000
Sounds like the 99cr would be my bike since im pretty light, just dont like to spend 25% more for one year but it may be worth it. And i rather get a cr than a yz since im a honda fan.

Well i guiss its either a 98 yz or a 99cr... hmm

Last edited:

Eggnchips

Jul 15, 2002
Like you, I stepped down from a 250 to a 125 and it is probably the best move I ever made. I am also a fan of Hondas and I went for a '99 CR125. The engine is a little weak on the bottom, but I haven't finished re-jetting it yet.

Unlike previous posts I find the forks pretty harsh, I just can't seem to get them plush enough, but the rear is excellent.

Turning is reasonable, but again haven't finished tweaking yet.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Stepping off of my 2000 125sx stock valves, onto a '99 yz is like a dream ride. The yz feels absolutely plush. I still will not part with my sx, but the 99yz is sweet if you find the right clicks. To me it has everything one wants from a 125. (lol..including that 'stinkbug jap bike feel') :)

helio

Dec 19, 2001
I have a 98 CR 125...
The stock suspension is not very good so I have replaced the rear for a Technoflex (www.technoflex.com.au) and the front was revalved by Technoflex (suspension fixed).
The handling is not very good(Yz is better).
About the engine Honda is always a Honda...The engine could be weak for 98 at top but after not well jetted but RIGHT jetted is a very good engine(you can do a lot of things to improve their performance). Concerning reliability never a problem and the brakes are great!!!
I am also a Honda fan or a reliability fan ;) , but I not stupid to tell you that the YZ is not good a good bike.
The YZ is a great bike all rounder these years, BUT I LIKE RIDE RED :aj: .

Top Bottom