Best 250 Crosser for Hare Scrambles?

scottyr

Mar 12, 2000
I currently ride a KTM400EXC that I love for trail riding but I really notice the weight after getting off of my buddies CR250. I want to buy a 250 crosser to get into some club MX this summer and also ride it in the Hare Scrambles up here. I will keep the 400 for enduros and trail riding where a licence plate is needed. My question is what is the best 250 MXer for hare scrambles. I am 6ft tall and weigh 185lbs. What mods will I have to do to be competitive?

GWO

Jul 15, 2000
scottyr,

For the past two years I've ridden a '00 KTM 300 EXC which I have really enjoyed. Even though I enjoyed it, the 300 felt lacking in Suspension, Braking, and Motor (jetting was a pain). For a while, I thought I wanted a 4 stroke and I briefly owned a '01 KTM 400 EXC. I did not like the 4s as much as the 2s and I certainly felt the weight in tight woods.

I started my search for a new 2 stroke by searching for the best *foundation* to build on for woods racing. I initially wanted the new CR 250 but this forum turned me to the YZ. The YZ seemed to be the best overall bike when considering Weight, Suspension, Handling, Braking, and Motor. I bought a new '02 YZ 250 this past Thursday. I feel the YZ is the foundation I was looking for. The ergo's felt good while sitting on it and riding it in the parking lot. (I sat on a CR and it didn't feel as roomy as the YZ). Time will tell if I made the right choice, but so far it feels good.

On its way:
* scotts shark fin
* scotts triple clamp (already have the damper)
* renthal fatbars (971's)
* cycra pro-bend busters (mounted to triple clamp)

Ordering this week:
* eline lighting kit
* eline carbon fiber skid plate

Will have to wait for:
* IMS or Clarke enduro tank

Checking on:
* SDG tall seat

GWO
02 YZ 250

yz 200 guy

Aug 28, 2000
I use a KX 250. Mine is a '99 and I race D22 and UORRA (Gusse's) Hare Scrambles. Mods are MX tech valving and straight rate springs, 7 oz. Steahly flywheel, 3.5 gallon IMS tank, 1 mm shorter pull rods (raise rear end), WER steering damper and WBrothers Ti bars with bark busters. If I did it over again, I would add a small skid plate and a carbon fiber pipe guard and get the smaller 3.0 gal IMS tank, but that is all.

Pros are the excellent low end and mid range power, hard to stall motor (even stock), light clutch feel, easy starting, good reliablity and suspension that is not exactly plush, but not wallowy.

Cons are the lack of nimbleness in tight woods (even after raising the rear and running the forks lower), the vibration (minor, but pretty high for a 250), the missing magical 6th gear, the seat (or lack thereof - I've seen thicker, better padded feminine hygine products...) and radiator shrouds that catch your knees and make them sore.

I would try the Yamaha if I wasn't getting a Gas Gas. The 2002 sounds like the real deal. Both brands have made great motors for off road for many years now - good low end and mid range response. What kind of dealers do you have in your area, that reason keeps me coming back to certain brands.

If you like quick handling, try a Suzuki. I rode my friends 97 or 98 back when it was new and they really are quick turning and twitchy. You might like that, I didn't.

I'm 6'1" and 170 lbs (without gear on). BTW, my buddies KTM400exc is much plusher than my KX, but it is a little heavier feeling. The KX motor puts smiles on all my friends that ride it.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
I run a '00 KX250 on both track and trail.. These are the mods I've done, it performs exceltionally in both elements:

Ceet tall seat foam, Acerbis gripper seat cover
Applied top triple clamp, Renthal Twinwall Emig bends
Acerbis Rally-Pro handguards
MSR radiator guards
UFO vented front number plate
AM-Pro oversized front rotor
IMS 3.2gallon clear tank
Michelin S12 front/rear tires
DP-Pro MX front pads, DP Sintered rear pads
No-Toil filters/lubed
V-Force Delta 2 reed cage
Regina O-ring chain
Race Tech straight rate springs
Works Connection skid plate
Works Connection aluminum throttle tube
I pulled the forks up through the clamps about 1" to make it turn better, the tradeoff is that it knifes badly in tight turns in deep sand.

My next bike will probably be a GasGas XC250 or SE250. I know this is the Japanese message board but these GasGas bikes have to be seen to be appreciated.

Top Bottom