Best Bike for Hatfield-McCoy...?

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
I've been invited on the Tucker/Rocky Distributing-sponsored trail ride at Hatfield-McCoy in October. I'm thinking about trailering out two bikes for the ride (T/R covers two nights lodging at the Sycamore Inn in Williamson, WV and all meals).

The KDX200 is going, for certain. Those of you who have been on these trails before; tell me, which would be the better bike to take as an alternate: the CRF150R or the KLX450? In other words, which is preferable; power or agility??

Thanks.

Mud

Last edited:

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
I rode up there in june on my kdx I would say the klx450 would be the alternate I'd bring...be sure to ride to Matwan and tell Cathey McCoy hello for me (Bill) she is at the Hatfield McCoy Inn the have killer food and are very nice people.

You can ride on the streets up there!! the ride over the mountain is about 5hrs from williamson to matwan the ride back on the roads is about 25 minutes!!!

It's all mostley up and down steep mountains, 300-400 yards, with switchbacks and big rocks the easy sections are rated as if on a 4wheeler, I found it pretty rough. wish I'd done the shim stack mod before this ride!!!!

The secondary trails are really challenging make sure to ride with someone else when you get up in that mountain there are no quick ways to get back and no short loops so be mindfull with the kdx and gas.

JTH ran a d803 up there and he did great. ( I installed one last night for my turkey bay ride this weekend)

Also hd tubes and more air than usual will help, but if your river bottoms you ride are littered with big rocks and soft ball size loose ones you know what to do anyhow.

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
Thanks, sr5.
My river bottoms are either gnarly roots/dirt single-track, or pure sand/water....so your tip about tire pressures was appreciated. I haven't ridden in real rocks since I don't know when......

Looks like tis time to install the big IMS tank on the KLX and check out the 803's.

Much obliged.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
you should be fine with the stock tank on the 4stroke.

I made it one way with the kdx stock tank and refilled in williamson.

If you make the trip between towns when you get to Matewan you'll have to go accross the bridge into KY to get gas....bring your 2t oil as they have no "good" oil.

the cop on the ky side has nothing better to do than wait and watch, he cought my front wheel coming up in first and second, I got pulled over lucky me he did not get out of the car just rolled his window down and bitched me out ...a few yes sirs later I was back on the VW side finishing my 12 pack!!!

The only thing I would really suggest is the shim stack mod for high speed compression, those rocks beat you around alot without it.

Of all the posts on trials tires I never see any input about what they run on the front....certainly not an 803 with 9/32 of tread!!

Last edited:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
sr5bidder said:
the cop on the ky side has nothing better to do than wait and watch, he cought my front wheel coming up in first and second, I got pulled over lucky me he did not get out of the car just rolled his window down and bitched me out ...a few yes sirs later I was back on the VW side finishing my
Yes I'm sure the police in WV would be much more forgiving of reckless behavior :whoa:

Ever think he cut you some slack for something he could have easily written you up for? Abusing the ability to ride off road bikes on the local streets will only make things more difficult for the rest of us that appriciate the blind eye the police have to the registration status of our bikes.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
so mudpack yout ride is pretty soon eh??

if you do'nt have long-johns I'd get some its going to be cooling off up there quick!!

hell its 52 here now! I would pack for the 38-58*f range ....not much sun gets through in the mountain either,,

Top Bottom