bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
I live in a appartment complex and i am considering getting a MX bike. if the worst comes to the worse, i will have to store it at my complex which isnt very secure. if anyone knows of any lock tests, or has any suggestions on which locks are most secure i would be very interested.

From what i remember, most locks are lost when the theif freezes the lock with freoin and then shatter them off. i do remember reading some locks can combat this but i cant remember where.

the other thing i have heard is that if they want the bike and the lock is too good, the theif will simply cut the frame and weld it back later!

also, does anyone know if you can insure a dirt bike against theft when stored in this manner?

all advice and suggestions wellcome

cheers

bruce

JeffK

Sep 9, 2001
Bruce
1. Store your bike inside somewhere, whether it be inside your apt., a friends garage, or a rented storage unit.. A bike left outside is way too tempting to playing kids, destructive teens, or thieving adults!!!

2. Always lock your bike no matter where it is.. Kryptonite makes good bike locks and will slow any thief wayyyy down...

3. Some states let you insure your dirtbike for theft some don't - I am pretty sure CA does so your probably in luck...

Good luck and welcome back to the sport

ADS

Nov 21, 2001
The three best options for bike storage for an apartment dweller would be:
1. Store the bike at the home of a trustworthy relative who can keep it locked in either a garage or a shed.
2. Rent a mini-storage.
3. Sneak it into your apartment, if possible.
(I am the master of sneaking bikes into hotel rooms, so I can answer any questions on just what is possible, 2nd,3rd floor, no problem!)
The lock alone method would really be the ultimate last resort in my book.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Not that I want my bike stolen, but I have no deductable insurance for $56/year on my bike. It is insured for $3000 or to be able to replace the bike with one of equal quality. I still have a Kryptonite lock on it anyway. :D

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
They make a lock that attaches to you brake rotor that is difficult to get off and will mess up your brakes bad if you take off with it one. I see them in street bike catalogs. That would be a good deturant in addition to the locking it up to something. Sneaking it in to the apartment would work if you have a down stairs apartment or one with a freight elevator. Personaly, I would insure it and go the protable storage unit with locks on it inside the unit. The biggest part of theft deturnant I think would be to make it impractical for someone to steal. If they truely want to steal it they will have to spend some time getting all the locks off it and loading it up. With that comes a better risk of being seen or heard. A storage place with secured access, video survalance, and good fences would be best IMO.

dirtbikedad

Mar 24, 2001
One or two 150 lb Rottweilers will do as well as any lock.

Personally, I use two 10 lb Shih Tzus. Not quite as effective, but I live in Idaho where theft is nearly a myth.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
American Padlock Company makes a lock, model 747. This lock is a brute, retail $80.00. Use this with a 1/2" plastic coated cable or 1/2" case hardened chain and insurance.
The 747 can be put over your chain and sprocket leaving nothing exposed for attack. Check with a Locksmith, I have 13 different size Amercan padlocks keyed to the same key as well as master keyed.
If you use a mini storage, use an ABUS "Diskus" lock on the hasp. If the hasp will accept a American model 2000 go with it.
I have a educated back ground in locks and security, PM me with any other questions.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
S&W .40 Caliber usually thwarts the thieves, as long as you can stay up all night!

bossa

Sep 26, 2000
I have a couple of Kryptonite cable locks. They are the cable type. I got the thickest ones I could find and I think I bought them at lowes. They are very high quality locks. They look like they would be very hard to cut or break but no locks are invincible.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Thanks for all of the suggestions guys, its definately a good starting point. I looked into the kryptonite locks, they are very pricy $500-$1000 which is the difference between a 99 and a 01, but i suppose and older 99 is better than a stolen 01!

i really liked the suggestion of the "S&W .40", that would definately make a start at curing the disease rather than treating the symptoms....

i have heard that the best techniques thiefs use is to freeze the lock with freon spray and then hit it with a hammer to shatter it. does anyone know if the kryptonites will hold up to this? (i will contact kryptonite also with this question)

i will also post another thread on insurance.

thanks for your help

bruce

Bill Hibbs

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 1999
$500-$1000... Huh? The Fagetaboutit chain/lock is under $200.00. I still don't think I'd leave a dirtbike left outside in a shady neighborhood.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Thats more like it, i thought i saw the forgetabout it for 1000 on their web site, i will recheck my source

cheers

bruce

CRguyStan

Dec 10, 2001
Theft Proven Idea

If you don't put Pro Tapers on the "Club" should fit in the handlebars below the crossbar, it's proven to work.....(LOL)

I think a local mini storage for 30-40 a month would be the best bet, then you can keep fuel, gear, & other stuff.
Stan

Top Bottom