sidewayz

Sep 6, 2006
well i need some tips on clearing this jump that i just can't clear. well its about a 100 foot step up that is intimidating as hell and i just can't clear the F****** thing and i just got no idea how to. i been hitting it 4th pinned on my crf250 and i been coming up about 10 feet short.. last time i hit it my friends said my wreck looked liketrigger gumm's world record attempt wreck... so yall got any ideas

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Go faster?

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
Along MikeT's lines, try it on a 450F?

My God if 4th gear pinned won't get it, how much of a run do you have at it? You could shift to 5th but the couple of times I've tried that it didn't seem much different and the bike seems to not respond as well on landing (meaning if you need to gas it to avoid catastrophe it seems to bog).

I've never jumped more than 90 feet and I've never come up short on anything that big. I can't imagine how that must felt, ouch.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Do you feel your rear shock pushing you when you take off the jump? Are you static when approaching the face of the jump? Does anybody you ride with clear the thing? If yes, at what speed are they (or is he/her) going?

I never attempted a jump that big. The biggest one I made required me to go 3rd gear pinned on the 125. I guess bigger jumps are similar (faster and scarier).

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
seat bounce

sidewayz

Sep 6, 2006
well i just got my forks back today from revalve and theyre a lot more stiff so i think i can seat bounce it.... and for whoever asked the other people who are clearin it are ridin 250 2 strokes so i think i might have been a little under powered

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Wow! This seems like a humongous jump. Any pics or vids?

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Seat bouncing is something usually reserved for jumps that are coming up quickly right out of turns, not high speed ones with long runs. Besides, seat bouncing is more dependent on the rear suspension.

Again, where is it? We have lots of riders from the Kentucky area and they might be able to help you.

Also, pinned at 5,000 rpm is very different than pinned at 11,000 rpm when jumping. I've helped many people jump things and 90% of them think they are "pinned" when jumping something but in reality most of them are backing off and being tentative with the throttle on the takeoff. There is nothing like video to help people realize that what they are really doing is very different than what they think they are doing.

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
High Lord Gomer said:
Seat bouncing is something usually reserved for jumps that are coming up quickly right out of turns, not high speed ones with long runs. Besides, seat bouncing is more dependent on the rear suspension.

Again, where is it? We have lots of riders from the Kentucky area and they might be able to help you.

Also, pinned at 5,000 rpm is very different than pinned at 11,000 rpm when jumping. I've helped many people jump things and 90% of them think they are "pinned" when jumping something but in reality most of them are backing off and being tentative with the throttle on the takeoff. There is nothing like video to help people realize that what they are really doing is very different than what they think they are doing.

That speed seems pretty fast to be seat bouncing, but I'll admit it's something I'm barely comfortable with on jumps half that size. Pinned or not though, if he's clearing 90 feet (maybe he should video tape that ;) ) he's getting it pretty good. I'd bet conservatively 50% of the people who've ever ridden a dirtbike haven't jumped that far?

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
I'll be part of the 50% who do jump 90 ft. next year if God permits it :cool:

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
Blue Fire said:
Whats seat bouncing?

You can see it in that video if you look close.

Also know as preloading, you put our weight down hard on the bike so the suspension loads and when you come off the face of the jump it unloads sending the bike higer and thus farther. If you don't have enough speed to clear a jump but you're close, this can give you a little extra distance.

03_edge

Dec 4, 2006
i didnt know what seat bouncing was at first but its another word for preloading. learn something everyday, and doing that can help alot

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
ellandoh said:

After watching this video.....

Beginners say "Wow!"

C Riders say "Damn!"

B Riders say "Holy $hit!"

And A riders say,...............nothing.

The faster you think are, the slower that video makes you feel.....

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Blue Fire said:
weight in the middle or more towards the back or front?
Because you are using your weight to get extra compression of the suspension on the jump face, and therefore extra rebound on takeoff, you want to compress the front and rear equally. Ironically, if you are too far back, the rear will rebound more and throw you front low/rear high. If you're too far forward, the front will rebound more and throw you with the front high. So...middle of the bike, but realistically, I try to stay forward and since I am full throttle I slide back a little to where I should be in the middle of the bike.

Before trying it, I would suggest doing more reading about it as it can easily throw you over the bars if not done correctly.

KX250Dad

Dec 4, 2006
Not to be picky, rather to avoid confusion with those less experienced. Seat bouncing and pre-loading a jump are not one in the same. Seat bouncing is more a sx/ax thing where tight turn enter jump, lower speeds, need air to clear... and yes it's an art form all its own and works well when mastered, and hurts like hell when learnig... pre-load is higher speed, generally done from an attack position and gets the air needed (maybe) to clear a long double or triple. Pre-loading the suspension can be pretty cool but remember, the guy (gal) that clears the obsticle and gets on the ground driving first is the one winning races.

I agree, doubt that your really pinned... unless your upper B/A or money class. Most intermediate riders don't realize they have another 1/8th turn on the throttle, this last bit of turn may be somewhat odd to the twist... might suggest moving the throttle tube forward the where "pinned" is rolled all the way back without being uncomfortable to the wrist position. You'll know pretty much immediately if this is a solution.

ps... whatch the landing on the step-up, hate to see the rear wheel clip and bounce you over... last note, try with your eyes closed, it'll hurt less.

Top Bottom