Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
Dave, I have the OEM 220 piston out. Looking up under her skirt [intake side] where the intake window is cut through, the edges of that hole are very jagged = a number of acute angles which is an open invitation for a crack to form. I can't measure it exactly but the metal in the relieved area just below the window is probably no more than .030" --just not good in that location due to the slapping of that skirt. If one did choose to run the OEM piston, There'd be a way better chance of survival if you took a file or Dremel burr and went around the inside of that window and radiused it out smoothly, then finished it with either 320 paper or a cratex wheel. I'm pretty sure that the poor metal finish in there is causing the failures.

Dragonfly

May 8, 2002
Holy Cow, I bought a 92 kdx 200 in april of last year my first dirt bike, and had a blast all summer. So thursday I got a wild hair and bought a 2001 KDX 220R from a guy. Thank goodness I work all this weekend and was reading the posts here for the 220, otherwise I'd been out riding right now!! That scares the crap out of me, shattering the skirt and other expensive parts. I'll be ordering a new weisco tomarrow!!! Any other things I should look out for on this 220???
Thanks guys.

Dragonfly

May 8, 2002
All I see at Rocky Mt. is the Wiseco pro-lite piston kit. Is that one a good one? Or should I look for a regular Wiseco piston?? I'm using Rocky Mt. cuz they sent me a gift certificate for 67 bucks!!

Top Bottom