Bike clamps...better than tie downs

RYDMOTO

~SPONSOR~
Feb 16, 2001
Here are some bike clamps I made using turnbuckles and 1" bar stock.Once tightened down the bike is VERY secure.I am going to add a "T' to the pins for easier installation and a small chain so the pins don't get lost.

Attachments

• bike clamp1 600.jpg
    bike clamp1 600.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 6,352
  • clamp close up 600.jpg
    clamp close up 600.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 3,008

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Nice job Roy. :cool:

stumanarama

Aug 29, 2007
As neat as that is(which it is very) isn't that sort of like fixing something that ain't broke? I mean, whats wrong with tie downs?

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
stumanarama said:
As neat as that is(which it is very) isn't that sort of like fixing something that ain't broke? I mean, whats wrong with tie downs?

For starters I've seen tie downs break or let go. Secondly when loading multiple bikes in a close space you have to sort out angles for the tie downs to be run across other wheels etc.

I use the same turnbuckle but instead of the U joint type end I simply took some threaded rod and heated it up and bent it into a J shape. We then put our bikes on a stand so there is no load on the suspension and they do not move at all.

stumanarama

Aug 29, 2007
Chili, points well taken. And I understand exactly what you mean in regards to tie down angles. Tired of jury-rigging my bikes into the truck my dads way, I took some 3/16" plate steel as a back plate and put an eye-bolt in the center of the bed a foot up or so. Works pretty well as a tie down point when you have two bikes. Anyway, good job Rydmoto, it's inspiration to us all to get a little more creative. :cool:

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
stumanarama said:
Chili, points well taken. And I understand exactly what you mean in regards to tie down angles. Tired of jury-rigging my bikes into the truck my dads way, I took some 3/16" plate steel as a back plate and put an eye-bolt in the center of the bed a foot up or so. Works pretty well as a tie down point when you have two bikes. Anyway, good job Rydmoto, it's inspiration to us all to get a little more creative. :cool:

Two bikes in a truck is a breeze, try 4 in a 6x12 trailer, then you'll really want to get rid of the tie downs.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Chili said:
Two bikes in a truck is a breeze, try 4 in a 6x12 trailer, then you'll really want to get rid of the tie downs.

I like the turn buckle idea - I may see if I could modify the idea by welding on the clips that fit the E-track in my toyhauler. One thing I hate with a open toy hauler is screwing with loading and unloading the bikes!

Chili - how about 5 bikes on a 6x12 trailer ), using tie downs, no bar or tie down clash at all? Mine is an open trailer - should work for enclosed to. Mine might be 6.5' but the idea should still work. I got the idea from pics of an enclosed set up I saw on KTM Talk. I put the bikes in at an angle, lead bike with front wheel to front left corner of trailer, back end as far to front as it will go (shorter wheel base bikes may not hit the right side rail though) - then line the other 4 bikes up accordingly. Put long eye bolts in the side rail of the trailer, such that the front tire of the bikes behind the front bike, goes up against the eye bolt. the front bike uses the eye bolt by the front tire of the bike behind it for the left side tie down. Then put eye bolts in trailer floor for the right side tie downs (front bike uses a eye bolt on the "a" frame trailer tongue). By carefully spacing the eye bolts it works out pretty slick . there is ZERO handle bar clash, ZERO tie down clash. Triangular space in front of front most bike and behind rear most bike makes for some good storage area for gas cans, tool boxes, gear etc.

It is kinda hard to describe here - if there is any interest, I can dig up some pics of it.

RYDMOTO

~SPONSOR~
Feb 16, 2001
Attaching these goes pretty quick as you can tilt up the footpeg to fasten the pin.The same goes when you loosen them to take it off.I used the 1" barstock to give it more mass for "spinning" the turnbuckle.I had thought about using some teflon stock pop riveted to a metal plate that would rest on top of the footpeg with a eyebolt bolted to the same plate that would drop thru the footpeg so the teeth won't get damaged but so far it does not seem necessary.I could also trim the pin to fit between the teeth as well.
All I hope for is that my creativity spurs your creativity to improvise something even better or a system that suites your needs.Thanks for the compliments.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
I could get a fifth bike in my 6x12 if need be but I never have the need to haul more than 4. If I added a fifth I'd likely need to relocate or remove my 55 gallon powerwasher barrel. As far as bar clash I turn all bars full lock on the right and put a bungee on them to keep them from flopping around.

We load the bikes at an angle as well with the front tires further up the left and the backs, nearer the rear on the right. This leaves a small area on the back left of the trailer where my two pit tents are secured to the wall as well as my Honda EU3000is generator and my power washer sit along with a few gas cans. At the front you have a larger wedge area on the right hand side that has the barrell, extra parts bin, gear bags, tool box and other odds and ends.

I'd offer to take a photo but my son whacked his noodle and will be off the bikes for a few weeks so not sure when I'll have it fully loaded again.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I would like to issue a word or two of warning......

A nylon strap tie down at an angle will do two things: the stretch in the cord will absorb shock and the angle will load the tie down point more in a "shear" (side) load instead of tensil (direct pull).

When your trailer bounces and the bike wants to topple it will pull pretty hard on those turnbuckles. I highly recommend that the bolts holding the tie down loops be backed with a really strong backing plate AND the bolts be grade 5 or better. The cheap bolts do not fare well in a tensil load.

As long as the mounts will handle the load it looks like a great setup!

Rod

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
rmc_olderthandirt said:
. . . When your trailer bounces and the bike wants to topple it will pull pretty hard on those turnbuckles. I highly recommend that the bolts holding the tie down loops be backed with a really strong backing plate AND the bolts be grade 5 or better. The cheap bolts do not fare well in a tensil load.
pssst . . . how 'bout keepin' those tie-downs around to double-up for safety, eh? ;)

RYDMOTO

~SPONSOR~
Feb 16, 2001
I didn't mention but on my trailer I added some thick aluminum plate on the underside of my trailer that the D clamps bolt through.I also use an ATK bike shoe for the front wheel.I mounted the D clamps a little forward of the footpegs to pull the bike forward into the bike shoe.It is very secure that way.In hindsight adding a bike shoe seemed to be a little overkill as I could have used a regular tire type holder.One thing for sure is the bike is not going anywhere.
I have had my tiedowns come off the bike while driving.I looked in my mirror once and the bike was gone! Luckily for me it fell over on the trailer and was still there.
I drive now with no worries whatsoever.

Timmay#678

Aug 29, 2007
Very good idea, I'm a bit sick of tiedowns, and as you all say they are a complete pain when you have too many bikes close together. I'll just have to find a suitable turnbucket, or might try make myown if I can get hold of some left hand threaded bar.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom