nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
I know this topic has been mentioned before - but we need a recent one. Red just got something through Progressive for our two bikes (03 250f and 02 450F) and it's $850!!! I think that was for a year. I refuse to cough up that much for insurance!

All we want is theft/fire insurance. No bodily injury or collision crap. But Red's insurance lady kinda insisted that it has to be all that other garbage.

What do you guys have and who are you insured through? Is there any way to wrap the bikes in with Homeowners insurance or the race trailer insurance?

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Nikki:

the YZ cost me around $250 in socal which is the most expensive place on the planet i think- that was from progressive. state farm had a similar price. the following year, this dropped to around $150.

is this woman on commission???

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Some insurance companies (Farmers I believe) will allow you to put recreation vehicles under your homeowners, but make sure that the associated bump in premium for doing this is really worth it, and find out what it covers exactly.

FWIW, I have fire and theft only with Progressive on my '02 KDX, and the premium is only $137. Keep in mind though that $137 includes a special Michigan-only surcharge of $72 to help fund an "unlimited" claims fund due to Michigan's no-fault law. So really, the premium on the bike is only $65 per year. It also covers up to $1,000 in custom parts/accessories.

www.bike-line.com also has very good rates.

Also, if you are an AMA member, Progressive does offer a discount, but it only applies in some states. Check the AMA web site to see what states qualify.

IMO, for dirt bikes, the only coverage you really need is fire and theft.

B

biglou

I'm with Shelter Ins. here in MO. I can get comp and collision only (something to do with having my truck insured through them, even though the bikes are their own separate policies). The kTm costs me $48 and the YZF costs $85 per year, give or take a buck.

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
Nikki,

That's awful high. I have full coverage from Progessive on my KTM 200 and the cost is around $135. I'd recheck all of the info with the insurance agent.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
the premiums sure seem to vary alot. i had my cr 250 insured through progressive for $50/year comprehensive with liability. i later added my vintage d-p bike for an additional $4/year.

i get a multi-vehicle and ama discount but i'm not sure how much those are. also my driving record is clean.

Last edited:

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
State Farm..about $10 per month... 2001 WR250F. It helps keep the price down if you have multiple policies.

I only wanted theft but they made me take comp and collision.

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
I had some jackoff tell me that my bike had to have liability on the policy, but the gf's quad could be written for just comp and collision. I explained that she must be mistaken and that my bike is offroad only, and is stated so on the title, and on the frame. She told me it was a state law............ Hrmmph

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
Nikki

Did Red talk to the agent or Progressive?  Full coverage on a dirtbike is wrong.  Explain to them it is a dirtbike (do not say racing bike) that is ridden on trails only for pleasure and that it is not legal to ride on the street.  The agent gets a percentage of the premium, so the higher the amount the more they make.  There is no Law in Illinois that requires Liability on a dirtbike.  Your agent probably has no clue what your bikes are and thinks that Liability is required when they are titled and tagged to ride on the street.  When he corrected her she probably was too stubborn to admit she had no clue what a CRF450 or YZF250 are.

Call Progressive direct and explain to them what you are looking for.  You want Comp only, or maybe Comp and Collision in your case.  :laugh:

Firemedic530

Nov 12, 2000
Do NOT tell them you race the bikes. My agent told me that any non-recreational or non-charity event participation (Racing) would cause my bike to not be covered. I payed $61.00 a year full coverage on my 2003 CRF through Erie Insurance. Did Red tell them you race? Tim

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
I have full coverage on my GasGas since its street legal and its $250 a year through country companies

dave186

Sponsoring Member
Nov 19, 2001
I pay about $700 a year for full coverage on my Berg through progressive. My credit union told me i had to have it, and they were the cheapest i could find.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
State farm is 85 a year for the RM and the same for the WR, replacement cost for both bikes.;)

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
nikki.

Same here, $ 85.00 a year thru State Farm for my XR350 dual sport. Minimum coverage.

I also have my homeowners policy and the rest of my vehicles insured with them if that makes a difference???

9r

TMax

Nov 4, 2002
Since we had bikes stollen we purchased insurance through Progressive. If you are an AMA member they will give you a discount. My first bike (RM 250) was $50.00 a year, each bike after that (YZ80s, KX 65, 50s etc) were $2.00 less. So first bike was $50.00 per year, second $48, third $46, etc.

We had several bikes stollen AFTER we had the insurance. They always wanted to "negotiate" the cost of replacing the bike, but they always paid up.

My '99 Triumph Legend is only $300 per year and that is full coverage! If you have not joined AMA check into it. If it cuts your insurance in half it is worth it!

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
I believe that the AMA discount is only 10%, and it's not available in all states (like Michigan).

You can also get a discount with Progressive if you are a member of the Honda's Riders Club.

Top Bottom