billet throttle tube + grip installation questions!

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
ive just ordered a billet throttle tube to go with some new bars and i have a couple of questions!

should i lube the inside of the tube (where it mates with the bar) and if so which lube should i use?

should i lube inside the throttle housing and if so which lube is best?

what is the cleanest, most simple and effective method for attaching grips to the bar?

thanks in advance

bruce

Jman271

~SPONSOR~
Oct 18, 2001
IMHO, I woudn't lube the inside of the bar and throttle pipe w/ anything at all. Grease will drag it down and give a very sluggish response, WD-40 or something like that will actually "cut" into the metal after a while, and you'll get shavings and metal dust in your housing, very bad. As far as adhearing the grip to the pipe, install the pipe, glob some grip glue on the pipe all over, do the slide and grab dance w/ the grip, wipe off all the eccess, and safety wire it in at least 2 spots, you should be good to go. If you don't have grip glue, hairspray will work, just spray it into the grip first. It will slide on a heck of alot easier w/ the hairspray too! Good luck!-

jl2x

Nov 13, 2001
I use glue to keep the grips on, but after putting the glue on the bar/tube, I use compressed air to get the grip on easier. I was amazed at how easy it made it. Just put the grip on as far as it will easily slide, then pull up a corner just enough to barely slide the nozzle to your air compressor under. The pressure is enough to expand the grip and it goes on like nothing. The combination of the glue and two or three safety wires has never failed me.

needsprayer

Oct 24, 2001
I just finished installing a White Bothers billet throttle tube. The throttle side of the handlebar already had a graphite lubrication from the factory. I left it on. My throttle cabling is steel and the billet tube is aluminum (mixed metals) so I figured a little dab of antiseize was in order where the cabling seats into the throttle. My grips rolled off the plastic throttle tube with a little perserverence. There was some dried glue but it wasn't really adhering to either surface. The grip gets pulled over a circular lip that is offset from the throttle assembly. The grip also fits snugly to the knurled billet tube so I do not see how it could slide off on its own. I added a couple of wraps of safety wire and skipped the glue.

I know that others will disagree with skipping the glue. :moon:

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
I've had serious problem with grips in my life. Many cuts from safety wire, many pairs of grips that lasted a week, not much fun. BigLou helped me the last time I had a problem. Here's what I did:
1. Put CONTACT CEMENT (mine was made by loctite) on the throttle tube
2. Grab grip
3. As fast as you can slide the grip on. Note: contact cement is very quick drying. If possible, only have about a second before you put on the cement and you slide the grip. It may be worth it to have two people working on this.
4. Three double wrapped safety wire coils on the grip.
Hope that helps (PS it REALLY works)

Top Bottom